Neon SRT-4 Dodge Neon SRT-4 is the pocket rocket that took the import scene and turned it upside down.

Headers for SRT-4

Old 02-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Polishguy33
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Headers for SRT-4

Hey pressurecooker how did you hook up the 3 inch downpipe to the corsa cat back. I go the corsa and i want to get the maxxfab downpipe but i dont know how i would hook it up.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:28 PM
stocksrt4
Rookie

So just corsa exhaust will make it sound a lot better? opposed to the stock exhaust? and then if i do the maxxfab stuff even louder alright sounds good but how much louder is the corsa ehaust and how much HP did it add? and just to make sure it still sounds good not like a rice burner right

Old 02-18-2007, 10:20 PM
PSI Chick
Champion

corsa is a nice exhaust, but don't get it from howell. i'm sure you can find it at least a few hundred dollars cheaper somewhere else.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Aceburner
Veteran

I thought maxxfab has a kina universal DP for other exhausts other than his own. Look on his site, I'm sure he had a DP the you can buy that fits with any exhaust.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

Yes the Corsa sounds better. However, it by itself with no other mods doesn't add much hp. It's only a cat back. That's why I bought the DP from Maxxfab.What it does do is open the door for big power when you get to modding more. The Corsa, with the stock cat on just sounded a lot better but was not obnoxious IMO. It was when I put the 3" O2 and DP on when it got loud. REALLY LOUD. The cat does alot to quiet this car down.
So last night, I welded my Dynomax race bullet in. Not so obnoxious inside the car now at low speeds. It softened the bite a little. Mostly what it did, it seems, is kill some of the in cab resonance. It's still is kinda loud outside the car. I still gotta be mellow driving around the 'hood and by cops etc. but it's more liveable inside the car at all but one important speed. That is 70 mph. At 70 were spinning about 25-27hundred rpms and it resonates inside the car pretty good. If I drop down to 62-65 or go up to 75+ I get out of the resonation zone. Fortunately, for me, I spend very little time on the highway. Otherwise, the mufflerwas a good choice. When I'm doing say 50, they car is no louder inside than when it was stock. When I jump on it though it still barks, so the sound coming out is very much tied to the amount of throttle you give.
How did I connect the DP to the Corsa? I did NOT have the universal fit DP (The DP and the Corsa after the bottleneck removed were exactly the same diameter-what to do?)
When I put the DP in, I found that I had excess length. This was good. I had material to work with. I used my air powered cutoff wheel and hacked off about 2 inches. Then I took that piece and split it into 2 "C's" and welded each back onto the outside of the DP exit. I left a small 1/8" gap on one side and ended up with about a 1/2" gap on the other. I wanted about 1/8" on both so I source a filler piece that I cut out of the bottle neck and welded it into the side with the 1/2" gap. This formed an outer flange that theforwardend of my Corsa would slip into, with 1/8" gaps on either side so I could clamp it or weld it. I already had bought a 3" clamp from Pep Boys. I figured I'd clamp it since I was planning on adding a bullet muffler which at that time I did not have. This worked good until last night when I put the bullet in. The bullet is already set to go on the outside of a 3" pipe on both ends. So, I had to cut my homemade flange off. I welded the bullet to the DP and welded a shortended chunk of pipe coming out of the bullet which goes back to the first clamp section of the Corsa where I slipped them together and re-clamped.
So I hope that answers the questions. You need to have access to a welder and cutoff tools. With those tools and some ingenuity, you can do damn near anything you want.I own mine and I'm a mech so it aint nothin but a thing for me, but otherwise, I would tell you to take it to your fav muffler shop and have them do the connection.If you have the univ. fit DP, it wount be a problem unless you go to put a muffler on, then your back to cutting and welding something.
My system, even with the muffler, will still be too loud for some, so fair warning. I don't think it sounds ricey though, with the dual tips, it has the SRT-4 sound. That's about the best I can describe it.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:17 PM
stocksrt4
Rookie

alright then thats what i will do. which downpipe should i get from maxxfab and is autopartswarehouse.com the best place to get corsa exhaust? and with the DP from maxxfab and the corsa exhaust it will sound quite a bit better and add some power?

Old 02-20-2007, 04:02 AM
wannasupra

3 inch side exit with 2 dynomax bullets, the big ones.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:47 AM
Pressurecooker
Record Breaker

I don't know where the cheapest Corsa is. I thought it was Howell but PSI Chick seems to think not. Maxxfab is good stuff.
About adding power; this or any exhaust by itself will not add a whole lot of power. If you do the O2, DP and cat back, all 3" it may add 15 hp. You see, the stock exhaust is not a restriction until you have mods making well over 300 hp. Without those other mods, the big exhaust will not add much hp. It will sound good and add some, but it should be done with an eye towards the future. Think about future mods. That is what should determine the value of the big exhaust to you. I hope to be over 400 hp some day. I know I will need this exhaust. That is why I did mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers for SRT-4