2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

automatic door lock

Old 02-16-2007, 12:59 PM
redram2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic door lock

Hello All

My 2001 ram drives me crazy. When you start the vehicle the doors lock (not a rolling lock). When you shut down the motor they unlock. I searched the threads and did not find anything on disabling this feature. Does anyone know if it can be disabled (my wife started the truck and got locked out, truck ran for 2 hours before I could get home with the other set of keys).

Thanks
Ed

Old 02-16-2007, 01:33 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Default RE: automatic door lock

My truck does the same thing but it is an aftermarket alarm system. What I do is leave the door open for about 10 seconds and then the door will not lock. The other thing I do is start it and then open the door to get out and it stays unlocked. I know it is not the answer you are looking for but it could work until you find one.

Brad

Old 02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
mattyge
Veteran

i find that mine only lock when you start it with the brake depressed

Old 02-16-2007, 03:24 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

mine doesnt do that but i have accidently locked it while it was running but what i do is carry a spare key in my wallet

Old 08-06-2007, 01:42 AM
CHEMIGO

I am searching this and other forums for that exact answer. We have now locked our keys in the truck running twice. Crazy 'feature' that I just don't understand why this would ever be considered desireable.

I put a spare key in the frame, but still would like to find a way to disable it. It locks the doors right after I start it; doors open or closed, brakes or no brakes. It should work if Iclose the door, then open it. But that doesn't happen in Tucson when it's 140 in the car and you need to start it to get the air going.

Anway, hope someone sees that that has a fix. I'll report back if I find something.
Thanx!

Old 08-06-2007, 03:57 AM
habeba86
Record Breaker

With aftermarket keyless you can program the unit to wether you want igniton controlled locks on or not......so maybe a dealer can program the computer to turn ignition controlled locks on and off.....other than that idk.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:49 AM
dishdude2k
Captain

my 01 ram locks when you hit 15 mph .. never heard of it locking right when you start it.. unless its aftermarket.. or a chevy.. cuz every chevy that comes into the shop irritates the crap outta me with that ..

Old 08-06-2007, 09:26 AM
Lee Wallace

Mine locks right away. It's supposedly a keyless entry system stright from Dodge that was added shortly after the truck was first purchased. The truck locked my wife out the other day when she started it to get it to cool down with the AC before we got in. I'd like to stop this feature if at all possible.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:18 AM
bill022572
Professional

If you look on the 2001 on-line service manual it says that some Rams are equipped witha high-line Central Timer Module that is programmable by the dealer with a scanner. One of the features is a rolling door lock but is not supposed to operate until the vehicle is moving. If it is locking by itselfthen possibly you have a problem with this module. It also says the feature can be turned off. Look in the manual insection 8e and read from the beginning until you are thoroughly confused. It also talks about it in section 8n. Possibly some help. There is also a bulletin on something similar to this problem : 08-023-03 (power locks - intermittently lock/unlock by themselves).

Old 08-12-2007, 03:43 PM
Sinister
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mine used to do it until i purchased an aftermarket alarm/commandstart setup, now they dont do it anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: automatic door lock