2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Why does my car tremble?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 07:36 PM
jondoe0987
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does my car tremble?

well look people i have a 2003 dodge neon sxt..... i love it to death...... but when i'm at a stop or or stop light it begins to shake a little then stops for 3 seconds then keeps repeating that until i take off again???..... by the way its an automatic, the only way i get it to stop doing that is by putting it in neutral which i hate doing every single time....... someone please help [][/font]

Old 10-28-2006, 07:56 PM
winsettz
Veteran
Default RE: Why does my car tremble?

Could it be the Idle Air Control thingy?

Edit: A google search theorizes clogged fuel injectors or a vaccum leak, perhaps leaky intake manifold

Old 10-28-2006, 09:24 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

motor mounts
have them checked. it shakes at ony a certain rpm because of the frequencyof the vibration and when you put it into neutral the rpms slightly raise so the frequency of the shaking changes and it smoothes out. check them by a visual check to see if the rubber is ripped or deteriorated and then have the hood open, and have someone look at the engine (do not stand in front of the car) as you put it into drive and hold the brake firmly and apply some gas. it the engine moves a lot in the engine bay, you need new mounts. th the same in reverse just to make sure. but make sure rpms go down before releasing the brakes again

Old 10-28-2006, 10:21 PM
winsettz
Veteran

Would '03 be a bit too soon for a motor mount failure?

Old 10-29-2006, 12:26 AM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

yes, but there could be a number of different variables to look at because it still is rubber. you might have leaked oil on them and it ate away at teh rubber. anythings possible and its a really easy thing to check so you might aswell

Old 10-29-2006, 03:23 AM
Freerider
Record Breaker

no point is too early fo motor mounts. Sadly, motor mounts can go for various reasons. One example is just how hard you drive... throwing it around hard corners a lot (like in auto cross or road courses or being dumb on the street) will end up with a limp motor mount. So... im in agreement that it probably is the motor mounts.

Good luck getting them fixed.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-29-2006, 01:33 PM
ewetho
All Star

on and off may be your ac cycling. do you have your defrost on?

Old 10-29-2006, 04:58 PM
jondoe0987

no my ac is never on... it works extremely well, i mean to the point to where it hurts cause it too cold....... i like riding with windows down anyways........ i heard also from this mechanic that it was the motor mounds but he had just guessed without looking at it.... another guy from AutoZone said it was the spark plugs but I never believe them cause they're all little 18 yr high school kids working there with no knowledge well at least in our city....... thanx everyone just needed secong opinions before i spend my money on something that didnt need to be fixed.... if anyone has another ideas please feel free to post........

Old 10-29-2006, 05:06 PM
spikeymikey87
Record Breaker

i can understand why they said spark plugs becase of shaking because it might need a tuneup. thats the case for another car but yours most likelt doesnt need one and it wouldnt act like that with the shaking. its motor mounts

Old 02-01-2007, 04:00 PM
jondoe0987

I raised my car yesterday and did see the motor mounts were damaged severly....... well not so much the mount but the rubber inserts themselves were cracked really bad..... I found a website that sold them for $25 so it wasnt them bad of a fix to my car...... thanx everyone

Quick Reply: Why does my car tremble?