3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front and Rear Differential Fluid Change.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 02:08 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front and Rear Differential Fluid Change.

Can anyone advise, with the 2002 Dodge Ram QC 1500 4X4 is it really important to have the Front and Rear Differential fluids changed?
Any typically, how much does the dealership charge, and how often should it be done?

Old 09-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Limedust
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front and Rear Differential Fluid Change.

Your maintenance schedule in your glove compartment will tell you to have it changed every 15k miles.

Your differential fluids help protect your gears against wear, and it suspends wear metal particles that aren't big enough to be trapped by the magnet in your differential case. Since most break-in wear will occur during that first 15k, I think it is a good idea to get both the front (if you have a 4x4) and rear changed at that first interval. After that, if you don't haul much of anything, and if you don't race at every stop light, I think it is okay to go every 30k or maybe even longer. That first change is important, though.

There used to be a DIY post by Osteodoc on changing the differential fluids, but I can't find it now. It's actually not that hard, and if you can change your engine oil, then you can do the differential fluid, too.

Warning: This is only my thought on the matter. Not responsible for any damage caused.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 PM
stenerson
Veteran

1delete

Last edited by stenerson; 10-26-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
JLRAM1500
Rookie

I have a n 02 ram 4x4 and want to change front diff fluid. Can someone please tell me how. i only see bottom rubber drain plug where do i fill it??!

Old 03-07-2010, 01:33 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLRAM1500
I have a n 02 ram 4x4 and want to change front diff fluid. Can someone please tell me how. i only see bottom rubber drain plug where do i fill it??!
check in the 3rd Gen Ram FAQS section. there is a nice DIY write up on how to do it.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by NYPANAMA42
Can anyone advise, with the 2002 Dodge Ram QC 1500 4X4 is it really important to have the Front and Rear Differential fluids changed?
Any typically, how much does the dealership charge, and how often should it be done?
I'm hoping that it's been changed at least once since '02!

If not a heavy hauler/tower then would say you could go 30k, especially if you use synthetic fluids. 15k if you have the factory LSD, because you really need to do a visual at least that often, metal particles are a bad thing to be floating around the diff oil. Also, if you cross any type of water then I'd change it much more often as water can enter the differential and break down the protective properties of the oil fast!

I go 15k in the rear and 30k in the front, as I have conventional oil in the rear (as spec'd by Auburn Gear, manufacturer of my aftermarket LSD) and synthetic in the front...

Originally Posted by JLRAM1500
You are looking at the FILL PLUG! There is no drain plug on these differentials. You drain them by removing the cover, scraping the RTV off, apply new RTV and replacing the cover. You then fill until it begins to come out THAT hole...

Quick Reply: Front and Rear Differential Fluid Change.