3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

High Output V6 with 250 horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 12:02 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: High Output V6 with 250 horsepower

ORIGINAL: graythang

Nope, not suggesting anything of the sort. I'm just seeing that there are V6s from Dodge like the 3.5 HO that are boasting 250HP running on reg gas. I would think it or some other engines that produces 250hp and comparable torque would be a better choice than the 3.7 at only 210hp. I didn't even know there was such an engine in the Dodge lineup as the 3.5 HO. Just happen upon it on the Dodge site. Let’s face it in spite of what everyone thinks about their truck it could and should have more powerful engines. By today’s HP race the 3.7L 210hp 4.7L 230hp and the 4.7L HO 260hp is on the edge of wimpy HP ratings. The HO needs premium gas to boot. I would expect the HP rating should be up 8 to 10% across the line of dodge truck engines and may have to be in the face of the competition. I am certainly not the only person who has posted the need to incress the Dodge engine HP ratings.
Okay that clears that up. Although I personally like the 3.5L, I can tell you that having better tq numbers are more important in trucks. The 3.5L isn't designed for the truck line up in terms of the tq curve. Like I said earlier, the only other V6 they have that would be a good replacement in this category is the 4.0L.

I will agree the 4.7L needs a power upgrade if they are planning on keeping it. They ought to increase the compression ratio. If I remember correctly, it has a 9.3 to 1 compression. This will increase both the fuel economy and output. It might be a good idea to add VVT systems since that is what the Japanese competition is doing. This will also help the output and fuel economy.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:41 PM
06dak
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem is the 4.0L is a 3.5L upgrade, not any way related to the 3.7 Not to say it couldn't be better, but I would guess it will take a long time (if ever) to make it to the Dakota. My wife and I had a Pacifica 3.5, and had some better get up than my 3.7 impression but didn't deliver outstanding fuel economy (no more than 20mpg on the highway) considering the higher-tech design.

Really what I've wondered is, where is the smaller hemi with MDS? That would bump F/E and power. I wish they would dump the 4.7 OHC engine altogether.

Though i agree, I'd take a CRD in a second...

Old 09-06-2006, 03:36 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

Your welcome, DevilsReject. We all make mistakes.

I agree with your opinion that the CRD makes the most sense. That way we can enjoy pretty good hp for displacement and excellent torque while getting excellent fuel mileage.
*nods*

I knew the V6 motor in the 2nd Gen Dak's was basically a 5.2L V8 chopped motor......just had the 3.7L/3.9L confused.

The CRD would absolutely make it a great truck.....and like it was already said in this thread.....would give DC both a V8 and diesel powered midsize truck. I purposely dont think it would hurt Dodge at all....as I think alot more people would be interested in a mid-size truck. I loved my 2nd Gen Dakota. I was a decent height off the ground, had a roomy cab, and the only reason I even got rid of the truck was the mpg werent getting it done.

Old 09-06-2006, 05:43 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

I would buy the CRD in a minute. I have little faith in the 4.7L Dodge needs to build the 4.7 to it potential or dump it. Baby HEMI would be great say at 325 HP or so. They say that the 4.7 has the makings of a race engine or a could be fitted with HEMI heads. The pistons are already slightly domed. Never happen!

Quick Reply: High Output V6 with 250 horsepower