1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Faulty Idle (2001 Durango)

Old 12-03-2003, 09:01 PM
scharnet
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faulty Idle (2001 Durango)

Got our Durango serviced in September - oil filter etc,and took care of all maintenance needed to date. When I picked it up the next morning all was fine until I came to a stop. At the first stop the idle went up down and then it went dead. Turned it back on, went to go back to dealer, at the next stop light same thing. Took it to the dealer where serviced, nothing came up in their computer. They weren't too concerned. Ever since then - especially on the first run on the day - at a stop, the idlegoes up and down then dies. If I put it in Neutral it holds the idle fine, and once the Durango has been driven around awhile in one day it rarely does it. There are no computer codes, it just dies.</P>

Any ideas? Thanks.</P>

Old 12-03-2003, 09:15 PM
PAULYSS

Not to familiar yet with the Mopar engines but if there is one on these trucks...I am going to say an Idle Control Valve???</P>

Had A GM vehicle do that. It had a CPI 4.3 that needed a ICV because of a rough idle. I would check any sensors or any restrictions from the air box to the Throttle Body.</P>

Just a guess, the regulars on here are much more educated.Good Luck!</P>

Old 12-04-2003, 02:23 PM
Truckxpressions
Veteran

i would look for loose connectors going to any sensors i could find or just make sure they were all plugged up. Its common to see them forget to plug back in a maf or iac sensor after maintenance

Old 12-04-2003, 03:21 PM
Custom R/T

I had a similar problem with my durango but the problem was my battery was dieing. You would notice this problem when you crank the car though. The car would crank but when you would rev the rpms up and then let them fall back down like ata red light it would fall under 500 rpms and die. I dont think this would be the problem more likely would be a sensor.

Old 12-07-2003, 06:18 PM
dano 360

Sounds like the TPS (throttle position sensor). You can pick one up cheap at any local parts store.</P>

</P>

Danny</P>

Old 04-07-2004, 02:50 PM
scharnet
Default RE: Faulty Idle (2001 Durango)

Update: Took Durango back to the Dodge Mechanic, still no codes on the computer re: dying problem. There thorough test revealed a low battery, so they replaced it (actually they forgot to, then we had to take it back again.) Durango still dies. Got a lead for another Dodge Mechanic - took it in, they said inothing is showing on the computer, but after thorough testing they found an improperly installed air filter so they had to clean our engine and reinstall it (who knows how much thats going to cost us, there going to charge us after they fix it). Guess what? It still dies...but it does seem to run a little better, without as much irractic throttle at stops and stop lights. This next time we're going to leave it with them overnight so they can have it from a cold start. I'll re-post once there is anything new to report

Old 04-13-2004, 06:00 PM
scharnet

We went on a trip after the last post, and our engine light came on flashing sporadically. We took it to yet another dealer, and $95 later they found "a broken" spark plug. Took it away, the light came on, "get it checked when you get home". Took it in a day early to our scheduled appt (they never did the tune up we asked them to do), and we have now found out that our engine is irrepairable. So now we either need to replace the engine or get rid of the Durango. I like the car - but I don't like that the mechanics are unable to figure our their own vehicles. If this happens to anyone else, atleast you know: battery - maybe, air filter - maybe, spark plugs - probably. Other item suggested by a pit crew mechanic - gas filter. Too late for us now.

Old 04-18-2004, 05:03 AM
scharnet

FYI = The 2001 Durango 4.7 V8 engine is basically disposable. If one thing goes wrong in there there is no way to change a part. This info was supplied by a Dodge mechanic and an independent one. It costs roughly $7,500 to replace with a used one.

Old 04-18-2004, 01:29 PM
naX

My 98 Durango did the same thing. Idle under 500RPM and die. Turned out to be the MAP sensor.....

Old 05-15-2007, 12:36 AM
stocktonpi

Never mind.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Faulty Idle (2001 Durango)