Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Have to hit fuel tank to start?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 01:59 AM
rote36bmw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to hit fuel tank to start?

Hello all My father has a 1996 1500 Conversion van. He let the fuel get down to about a 1/4 of a tank, and the engine started cutting out when he would go up hills and around corners. Now, after sitting for awhile, it will not start unless you hit the fuel tank with a rubber mallet. After that, it runs fine. This is with about 1/2 a tank of fuel in it. Also, the fuel gauge on the van has never worked right. Could the two be related? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old 08-27-2006, 12:49 AM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Have to hit fuel tank to start?

rote,

1971-1997 has two types of fuel tanks. I would highly recommend getting the Hayes Repair Manual number 30065 to review the problem you have (under $20). The fuel gauge sending unit, filter, float and pump are all in the tank as a module. However, getting to the unit to check it or replace it requires one of two ways depending on your vehicle setup.

Starting in 1998 to present, the fuel tank is moved mid-vehicle and has another method for removal.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:35 AM
rote36bmw

Stev,
thank you for the reply. Changed the fuel pump, and all is good. That was a PITA with those long bolts holding the tank [:@] Thanks again

Old 08-31-2006, 12:39 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

This is the second time I have heard of hitting the fuel tank to make a car run.

The first time was when I was at the Sturgis Bike rally.
Driving down the main highway (not Main St. - that is bike traffic only) I drove past a friend of mine whos GM was stalled and he told me later one of his passengers told him to hit the fuel tank....that worked.

I laughed, never heard of banging on the tank to make your car run. LOL

Old 09-02-2006, 04:33 PM
stev
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, those long bolts are something. However, if they are clean and have anti-seize applied to them, taking them off is alright.

Cutting those bolts shorter will only give you more of a pain since the length of the bolts help to drop the tank lower and evenly. By this, a person would have to turn the nut a few times, and then do the others the same way.

So, how much did the the fuel pump cost to replace. Was it a dealer part or a part store part?

Old 10-15-2006, 07:37 AM
IGadget
Professional

ORIGINAL: stev
1971-1997 has two types of fuel tanks. I would highly recommend getting the Hayes Repair Manual number 30065 to review the problem you have (under $20). The fuel gauge sending unit, filter, float and pump are all in the tank as a module. However, getting to the unit to check it or replace it requires one of two ways depending on your vehicle setup.

Starting in 1998 to present, the fuel tank is moved mid-vehicle and has another method for removal.
um my ram vans 83, and 87 have a mechanical not electric fuel pump on on the engine, not in the tank perhaps you ment 1991-1997?

Quick Reply: Have to hit fuel tank to start?