Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 SXT 3.8 radiator replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 01:33 AM
RedCaravan
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 SXT 3.8 radiator replacement

In the morning wrenches come out to remove the radiator. I have tried everything to resolve the leaks other than the radiator so its coming out. The over heating with the bad temp sensor must have damaged it. Any good posts or links to any tricks on a 5th gen. I watched a 4th Gen video and based on my knowledge of what is under the hood I expect the 5th gen to be similar but maybe slightly easier.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:15 PM
RedCaravan
Amateur

A new radiator and cap fixed it up. I did remove the front bumper and grill assembly to get access to the brackets to pop off and on the condenser and the oil pipes running across the radiator. Easy job, just a bit time consuming. I can do a full write up if needed

Old 07-18-2014, 09:52 PM
free1959

Funny side note. I bought an 08 Caravan 2 months ago and when the salesman opened the hood, I told him I wanted to see how easy it was to change the radiator out. The last 3 used cars I have owned have needed a replacement radiator. My wife's 05 Equinox was the absolute worst one to change. The dealer gets around $600 labor for it and I found out why when I changed it. There is a pretty good place to get radiators cheap on Ebay called Automotive Cooling. They are about half the parts store price and ship pretty fast.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:12 PM
RedCaravan
Amateur

I would expect to change it. They used real cheap components in the cooling circuit. The Radiator was a "Behr" but must be a real cheap grade because I have not had a Behr fail on my older Mercedes sedans. I know Behr is now making parts in China. Keep an eye on the temp sensor, thermostat and water pump. I would probably change the oem radiator cap made in mexico for an oem quality one from Advanced. Additionally I have changed the water pump, themostat and temp sensor. I believe they all needed it

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 SXT 3.8 radiator replacement