2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tcase noise and no 4wd

Old 07-12-2014, 12:48 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tcase noise and no 4wd

My transfer case is making this ticking every rotation going down the road as I slow down ticking slows down and as I speed up it does as well. My front driveshaft locks to the tcase and rotates with the back, but is not locking the front axel stuff. There is only suction on one line going to the two metal vacuum lines which go to the front actuator. Any is something wrong in the tcase vacuum stuff, and not sending the right vacuum to the front? Cause only one of the 4 hole connectors has suction when you pull it off the transfer case. That's in all positions with the truck running

Old 07-12-2014, 04:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

One line is vacuum supply, two others run off to the front axle, fourth one is a vent. Vacuum on one at the connector is correct. Vacuum at one line at the CAD is correct, shifting into a different drive mode (2>4 or 4>2 wd...) should make the vacuum switch to the OTHER line. Outboard in 2, inboard in 4.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:40 PM
kgilhooley31
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to test the actuator can i route vacuum directly to the metal lines leading to the actuator? So in 4hi it would need to be to only one of them, and in 4low it would need to be forked to both lines?

Old 07-12-2014, 06:56 PM
frankie_b_jr
Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

One line or the other should have vacuum on the CAD when ever the engine is running. One line moves the forks one way to slide the forks and link the passenger side axle together (4 wheel drive). The other line slides the forks the other way to disengage the axle (2 wheel drive).

If you have vacuum to the same line on the front end regardless of whether you're in 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive then the switch on the transfer case is probably gummed up or just bad.

If you have no vacuum to the front end start tracing the lines back to the transfer case. Be careful with the plastic lines as they will probably be brittle. If they check out then it is possibly the switch, since you have vacuum that far.

I have heard of the vacuum switch being cleaned and made functional again, but they normally don't last long before they're acting up again. Hope some of this helps you.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

vacuum is to engage the front axle, that's it. T-case handles gear ranges. Have a look here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tcase noise and no 4wd