Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Should I trade my 02 Ram 1500 for a 95 Cummins dually 5spd

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:25 PM
DirtyDodge812
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I trade my 02 Ram 1500 for a 95 Cummins dually 5spd

I put my truck up for trade on craigslist and got a few trade offers but this one is calling my name. Heres all I know about it so far. Its a 95 Cummins dually 5 speed 4x4 single cab. The truck has 227k miles and just got a new clutch. From the pictures it looks great, I dont see any rust. I think it has the original injector pump and lift pump, its straight piped and has a cold air intake. The pump has been tweaked but I'm not sure how much. It has 4.10's in the axles and the tires are all pretty good. In the last year it got new wheel bearings, ball joints, and tie rods. Only things that dont work are the temp gauge and the horn. The reason he wants to trade is because he's sick of driving a manual. He really wants to make the trade so I'm kind of sketched out, but hes driving to me from a little ways away so it's gotta be a reliable truck.

I got my ram 1500 two years ago after I couldnt find a cummins in my price range. I do a lot of highway miles and a little bit of light towing. I'm very mechanically inclined and I know a lot about these trucks overall so I dont mind a little work.

I know its not gonna be a fuel saver but my truck isnt easy on gas either, will it cost that much more to run this truck? And is there anything I need to look out for when I look it over? I'm just looking for some second opinions. Given this information would you make the trade?

Old 03-28-2014, 03:20 AM
tincan57
Captain

I have a friend with a 95 2500 12 valve 2 wheel drive 5 speed. He loves the thing, gives him great service as he hauls quite a bit with it. I would highly recommend a 12 valve to start with, but I can definitely vouch for his 95 12 valve manual (he's hauled some heavy loads on some big inclines and never over heated that I'm aware of). His maintenance cost are low. My friend on summer fuel sees 19 mpg no load and about 12 to 13 mpg with about 6k load.

Check for blow by, KDP (killer dowel pin mod), check the block (since he's been running with no temp gauge),check head gasket/oil, both batteries, starter and shifting, check 4h & 4l 4wd. My thoughts. K.

Last edited by tincan57; 03-28-2014 at 04:26 AM. Reason: 2500/spell/head
Old 04-01-2014, 07:20 PM
DirtyDodge812
Professional

Thanks for the tips, the guy heard bad things about the 4.7 in my truck so he might be backing out before he even looks at my truck. We'll see what happens.

Quick Reply: Should I trade my 02 Ram 1500 for a 95 Cummins dually 5spd