2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Signs Of A Bad Plenum?

Old 02-28-2014, 01:21 AM
JeremyMichael
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Signs Of A Bad Plenum?

What are some common signs of this problem? I noticed my MPG during this winter have dropped from 13/14 in the summer to around 10/11 for the winter, but i'm going off of the information on the display on the head unit, I haven't actually done it any other way to test my real MPG.

The truck does have 230k miles on it, but doesn't seem to lose oil, as from the time we got it in Aug to changing it in Feb it was low by about a quart, but the oil in it was pitch black, so I assume it just maybe broke down (hopefully). No clue when the oil was previously changed.

Under the hood is really clean for 14 years old, and from the looks of all the fluids under the hood except the engine oil, all of them have been changed recently, as they still hold their color, and what not.

The transmission has been rebuilt, and I am more than certain the previous owner took care of the truck. Or so it seems lol, I am just worried with the low MPG during this cold winter, the quart loss over 6 months and about 2-3k miles, that it may be a sign of a bad plenum.

Another thing i read that could be a sign of a bad plenum is a ping from the engine, I don't know exactly what this is, but when driving everything sounds fine, but if I heavily accelerate, like a sudden quick MPH gain from like 40-55 by pushing the gas pedal heavily, I hear pinging/ticking from the engine it sounds more like the lifters are rapid clicking.

This is only while heavily accelerating tho, normal acceleration I do not get the sound.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:24 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at the top of this forum you will see the end all be all plenum thread. It will answer all of your questions about the plenum problems.

As for the lower gas mileage in the winter, its not that uncommon for gas mileage to go down some because most gas stations switch over to a winter blend of gas and it will effect your gas mileage a little. Also very cold weather by it self will also effect your gas mileage. Once the weather warms up your gas mileage should go back up.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 AM
CSDavies26
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only way to really know for sure is to pull the air intake and look down the throttle body...it's easier if you just remove the whole throttle body which isn't a bad idea because it probably needs to be cleaned anyway. Once you have it off, take a flashlight and look down towards the back of the intake manifold and see if you have any oil in there...

Old 02-28-2014, 09:40 AM
JeremyMichael
Professional

I may have a mechanic look at it, I think the lifter noise is just a noisy lifter, I noticed it more after a fresh oil change with new oil, the old oil was black and probably a little too old. but i'm just hoping the 2 quarts loss of very bad looking oil was because it was old and not do to the plenum.

I got the vehicle at 228k miles, and from the looks of the engine it had been pretty well kept and taken care of, so theres a probability he ran into this issue and hopefully the plenum has already been replaced lol. Because from what I read this issue usually strikes well around the 100k mark.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Iff you have a mechanic look at it be sure to tell him to look at the plenum specifically. Ive talked to dodge "master" mechanics that had no idea these things have a plenum problem

Not every engine has the problem, but, odds arent in your favor at 228 miles. Youre getting great mileage though lol im not kidding. I get 10mpg year round

Old 02-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

These things should have a "Bad Plenum" light on the dash.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:26 PM
Matt Nickerson
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JeremyMichael
but i'm just hoping the 2 quarts loss of very bad looking oil was because it was old and not do to the plenum.
Oil doesnt just disappear when it gets old... It's either leaking from a gasket or being burned in the engine, plenum or worn rings/valves.

Old 02-28-2014, 07:43 PM
JeremyMichael
Professional

My exhaust never smoked and the engine is clean, I don't know how long it went without being changed, regardless it's been changed and from what I can tell with 400 miles on the oil so far, there has been no loss, I will keep an eye on it every week until I 3,000 miles, I always thought over time oil breaks down and this you need to add more, I never thought that was a sign of some kind of leak.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:33 PM
Spillage
Record Breaker
Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Oil itself doesn't break down... the additives do, and it gets dirty (carries carbon and other contaminants) that will lead to component wear.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:24 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Molecules that make up the oil combine with oxygen and impurities to form several oxidation products. Many of which are acidic in nature. So it's more of a chemical change in composition of the oil "matter is neither created or destroyed" that requires it be changed at regular intervals or you get sludge and engine wear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Signs Of A Bad Plenum?