Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Replace Uconnect 8.4 RE2 Touchscreen

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 01:42 AM
hwgbed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Replace Uconnect 8.4 RE2 Touchscreen

I am renting a 2013 Dodge Charger RT for monthly durations. It has Uconnect 8.4 RE2 without navigation. I touched the Satellite icon for Traffic, evidently too hard, and the touchscreen glass broke and has spider cracks to about 1/2 of the touchscreen. None of the touchscreen icons work now.
Is there a replacement touchscreen only for the Uconnect 8.4 RE2? I've searched these forums and the internet and have come up with no info on replacing the touchscreen only. I contacted the forum recommended oemautopartsco.com, but they also did not have anything.
I have to turn in the car to the rental company for their monthly "touchy/feely" inspection and renewal on November 2nd and am afraid they will see the spider cracks in the glass and charge me a fortune to replace it.
Does anyone know where to get a replacement Touchscreen only? I'm desperate at this point. I'm confident I can replace the touchscreen myself after my experiences with my daily driver 2006 GTO's radio and dash module problems.
Thanks for any help you can give me. And the Charger RT is the best rental car I've ever driven! I want to continue renting it until my project is completed in Feb. 2014.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:10 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

In any of the touchscreen oem devices, I have not ever seen just the screen sold for replacement.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:27 PM
JasonBosa

I have a mygig dvd,nav,cd,sat, high speed unit for sale send me a pm and we can work something out

Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 AM
hwgbed

To All Uconnect 8.4 victims of Cracked Touchscreen Glass.
I found out how to replace the touchscreen only! I removed the broken glass touchscreen in an attempt to fix it (removing was rather simple by removing the large dash bezel and unscrewing 4 screws and disconnecting 3 electrical connectors).
1. I found out the Touchscreen is Dodge Part # is 5064798. There are a few suffixes; AD, AE, AF, AG, AH but they evidently do not matter.
2. Dodge wants $916 plus taxes for a replacement touchscreen only, or more than my replacement 50" LED TV that broke about the time my Charger touchscreen broke.
3. I checked salvage yards by Google searching 2013 Dodge Charger Touchscreen Part# 5064798. Searching for used parts sure has come a long way quickly!
4. I received almost immediate replies from two companies.
5. Sam's Riverside Auto & Truck Parts in Des Moines Iowa had two of them. Cost was $465 + shipping.
6. By the time I called them the next day they were down to only 1 touchscreen. They stated both sold in less than 2 weeks, which they said was very unusual.
7. The touchscreen is shown to be the same for 2011, 2012, 2013 Dodge Chargers. 8. My replacement used touchscreen came from a 2011 Charger, was easily installed and works just fine.
9. In fact the used 2011 touchscreen is MORE sensitive than the broken 2013 and reacts to touch a lot better!! Perhaps FIAT has breathed on the 2013 version to make it inferior.
10. I received a private message from another Dodge Forum member who also is a victim of the broken glass touchscreen defect. Her dealer said they would not cover replacement since they had "never heard of the glass breaking before."
10. Since the supply of used touchscreens has dried up, I believe this is evidence of Dodge producing a defective part and in need of recall.
11. Although I successfully turned in the Hemi Charger rental (without any issues regarding the replacement touchscreen), I am available to any Dodge Forum members who are victims of broken glass touchscreens where Dodge dealers denied any responsibility for replacement. The 2013 touchscreen was broken by normal touching, not me being in a rage, and it is obvious that the 2011 touchscreen is far superior.
Thanks,
Henry Griffith
PS: And having the Hemi Charger for several months commuting 250 miles/week for work was a real pleasure!! (except the touchscreen)

Old 01-01-2015, 11:04 AM
jeff72807
Default Ram Touchscreen

Need help. My 2014 RAM 8.4 Uconnect screen broke and the dealership or Chrysler will not cover it. Want the cheapest route possible. Any suggestions?

Old 01-01-2015, 12:34 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff72807
Need help. My 2014 RAM 8.4 Uconnect screen broke and the dealership or Chrysler will not cover it. Want the cheapest route possible. Any suggestions?
Your cheapest route will be buying an aftermarket double DIN and using it rather trying to source and buy an OEM headunit

Old 01-01-2015, 05:40 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Your cheapest route will be buying an aftermarket double DIN and using it rather trying to source and buy an OEM headunit
Or see if you can find one at a junkyard or eBay.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:20 PM
jeff72807
Default Ram Touchscreen

What type of business would be able to perform the swap?

Old 01-01-2015, 09:07 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Best buy, car audio shops. I curious why they won't replace it. Bumper to bumper warranty should cover it.

Last edited by jkeaton; 01-02-2015 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:36 PM
Brittany Perales
Default Help !!!!

I have experiencedthe exact issue in a rental 2018 dodge journey !! What are my options ??
Originally Posted by hwgbed
To All Uconnect 8.4 victims of Cracked Touchscreen Glass.
I found out how to replace the touchscreen only! I removed the broken glass touchscreen in an attempt to fix it (removing was rather simple by removing the large dash bezel and unscrewing 4 screws and disconnecting 3 electrical connectors).
1. I found out the Touchscreen is Dodge Part # is 5064798. There are a few suffixes; AD, AE, AF, AG, AH but they evidently do not matter.
2. Dodge wants $916 plus taxes for a replacement touchscreen only, or more than my replacement 50" LED TV that broke about the time my Charger touchscreen broke.
3. I checked salvage yards by Google searching 2013 Dodge Charger Touchscreen Part# 5064798. Searching for used parts sure has come a long way quickly!
4. I received almost immediate replies from two companies.
5. Sam's Riverside Auto & Truck Parts in Des Moines Iowa had two of them. Cost was $465 + shipping.
6. By the time I called them the next day they were down to only 1 touchscreen. They stated both sold in less than 2 weeks, which they said was very unusual.
7. The touchscreen is shown to be the same for 2011, 2012, 2013 Dodge Chargers. 8. My replacement used touchscreen came from a 2011 Charger, was easily installed and works just fine.
9. In fact the used 2011 touchscreen is MORE sensitive than the broken 2013 and reacts to touch a lot better!! Perhaps FIAT has breathed on the 2013 version to make it inferior.
10. I received a private message from another Dodge Forum member who also is a victim of the broken glass touchscreen defect. Her dealer said they would not cover replacement since they had "never heard of the glass breaking before."
10. Since the supply of used touchscreens has dried up, I believe this is evidence of Dodge producing a defective part and in need of recall.
11. Although I successfully turned in the Hemi Charger rental (without any issues regarding the replacement touchscreen), I am available to any Dodge Forum members who are victims of broken glass touchscreens where Dodge dealers denied any responsibility for replacement. The 2013 touchscreen was broken by normal touching, not me being in a rage, and it is obvious that the 2011 touchscreen is far superior.
Thanks,
Henry Griffith
PS: And having the Hemi Charger for several months commuting 250 miles/week for work was a real pleasure!! (except the touchscreen)

Quick Reply: Replace Uconnect 8.4 RE2 Touchscreen