2nd Gen Neon 2000 - 2005 2nd Gen Neon

Auto Trans shifter moves too far forward

Old 07-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Yorklab
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Trans shifter moves too far forward

2005 Automatic -- After moving the Shifter into the Park position, I have to pull the shifter back (away from the dash) every so slightly until I hear a "click", otherwise I can't pull the key out of the ignition. Any idea what the problem might be, and is there a step by step somewhere I can follow to fix it? The issue is minor, but I want to avoid a bigger problem down the road.

Thanks.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:46 PM
fhadso
Veteran

I don't know that much about the ATX in our cars, but it may be some sort of bushing that has worn on the shifter itself or the PRNDL lever on the transmission. Either that or your neutral/park safety switch is faulty.

I would say that you shouldn't have any problems down the road if it's ignored, seeing as it just prevents you from removing your key from the ignition, and not an issue with the transmission itself. However, like I said, I'm not that educated about our transmission, so take my advice with a grain of salt :S

Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Yorklab

Thanks fhadso. When putting the shifter into Park it probably goes about 1/16" (just barely) too far towards the dash. I can take my two fingers, and without much force, pull the handle back until I hear the click which I'm guessing is the push button unsticking, or going in the "out" position.

I was hoping someone had seen this before and knew of a simple adjustment to correct it; otherwise, I'll just leave it as is. I have a bad habit of breaking things as I'm taking it apart, so I don't want to mess with it unless I know exactly what I need to fix.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:23 PM
fhadso
Veteran

I've seen it on a Chevy Malibu before. As minor as this problem is, it's not imperative that its fixed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Auto Trans shifter moves too far forward