2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

timing chain or belt

Old 05-20-2013, 11:24 PM
paubo7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question timing chain or belt

How do I time a 1996 ram 2500 extended cab 5.9

Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't. The PCM does. You just make sure that when you replace the timing set that you do it properly and don't move anything once you've got it off.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:40 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

5.9 gas correct?

if there is nothing wrong, and you are replacing the chain, simply rotate the engine to where the dots line up at 6 and 12 o'clock, remove the old, do NOT rotate engine, and reinstall the new.

if the chain has slipped or engine has been rotated to make it out of time, then align as below. that will be TDC#6.

if distributor has been removed or rotated, you'll also need to reset the fuel sync. google it. mechanic with scanner tool can set it perfect. you can probably get it close enough to run w/o tool.

welcome to df.

Name:  26.jpg
Views: 3011
Size:  54.8 KB

Old 05-20-2013, 11:48 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

Why do you ask? Did something get changed (new distributor, timing chain+gears, etc.).

The 5.9 Magnum motor uses a timing chain and does not use a timing belt (that must be replaced every 60,000 - 90,000 miles). The chain does stretch with time/use and the gears wear. If your engine needs a new timing chain and gear set, be sure to install a double-roller chain and gear set as they will last a long time. Also, add in a timing chain tensioner (P5007099) and you will have rock-solid engine timing for the rest of the life of your engine - you can view the tensioner here:

http://moparcarparts.com/P5007709-Ti...ar-Performance

Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 PM
paubo7

Thank you for answering me so quick,but do have a question about your post what is tdc#6? Also can you time it by ear,and do you have to sync it,

Old 05-21-2013, 12:30 AM
SilverSS
Captain

tdc #6 is top dead center on #6 cylinder. When #6 cyl is on top dead center the dots on the cam and crank gears will line up. If you line the dots up before you remove the timing gears you will not have to time or sync it. You cannot time or sync it by ear. It is controlled by the pcm.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:37 AM
paubo7

Thank you so much, um kinda funny how or why I'm asking I will explain,I own a 99 grand price and I washaving some idling issues no power going up hills etc. And my bring who owns the Dodge truck that I'm inquiring about was to busy into his truck of souping it all putting different this gs on engine to make it go fast,more power,modified the dual exhaust etc. Didn't have time for mine so I put the obd2 scanner on mine and figured out what the two codes were that it said was wrong with My vehicle, so I decide to just Google it once to see what it said on how to fix the issues and where to start to narrow it down etc.did this all over a period of a week or so even went yo oreillts and bought the repair manual needless to say I learned a lot but still was a little scared to do it physically yet, so I said a few this know what it could be, and got them done but oh that needed to be done anyways (he knew that) so my crankshaft sensor was changed that we both knew but them I said new plugs and wires. And go from there well the car still ran choppy so I put the scanner back on eyv.
Dont want to waste anymore of your time, so long story shortI figured out what the issues were even tho I was told that isn't it dummy, or yep u got all the awers, no I don't but not ashamed to ask either ans look I told you how to fix it what it was that was wrong, and that didn't go over to we'll,but anyways byme doing that I got the basic idea of how an engine is put together and and what what Mae's it Runn replacing the exterior parts on it and I remember reading on timing and I had the basic idea what he had yo do b4 I even went on this sight to ask and I told him
What he needed to do but nope that is not it, I said okay when you are do.e getting.g it ti
ed let me know how it runs, yea they did that by ear and you don't need a tool and you don't need to sync it or I'm like yea that helps on gas also makes it where your truck don't run so lean which his does, but he says all dodges do,that's just how they are. Lol I just find it comical how he will not listen to me or take any suggestions. So that's my story but now also relize how much I like cars a.d and actually might consider going back to school,so I thank all you guys and gals who helped me out with trying different things to figure out what the problem is. But still interested in the questions I have asked yet about his truck whether I tell him or not just nice to know and another thing learned.

[U
[/U]
Paula

Old 05-21-2013, 12:39 AM
paubo7

Apologize for all the typos I did this off my phone hard to see what you typed on little screen that don't show the full paragraph

Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I cant even begin to read that.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:15 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 297 Likes on 281 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of learning how to work on/repair your own vehicle. Please be sure to review the section of this site of Do-It-Yourself topics. In addition, its always best to have a copy of the FACTORY service manual for the vehicle you are working with. The manuals sold in parts stores are typically summary versions of the factory service manual and tend to leave things out. You can find Dodge Ram FACTORY service manuals here on this site:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...e-manuals.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: timing chain or belt