2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46RE Issues accelerating from a stop

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 PM
BreakerBar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46RE Issues accelerating from a stop

1997, 5.9, 46RE, 4x4
Started having problems with my transmission about a week ago. Hopped on the forum and spent about a day reading all I could. Got a parts list together and spent a day under the truck.
Here's everything I did:
- Replaced governor solenoid and sensor
- pulled valve body, sprayed out with carb cleaner, and installed a TFOD-Jr. Shift kit
- Adjusted front and rear bands per specs in service manual
- New filter and Valvoline ATF-4, and a bottle of Lucas transmission conditioner

Got it all back together and test drove. No change in operation. Frustrated to say the least.

Here are my symptoms:
Seems to be starting in 2nd gear from a stop. If I ease into the throttle I can get her rolling. Stomping the accelerator from a stop gets me nowhere. RPMs rise, truck sluggishly rolls of the line. If I let off for a moment it will grab 1st gear and usually take off. I can manually put the truck in 1st gear when I come to a stop, however this exposes another problem. Again, easing into the throttle, the truck will operate like normal as I shift the lever up into 2nd and finally Drive. However, with the shifter in 1st gear, if I stomp the throttle the drivetrain shakes / shudders violently as it takes off. Tapping the brake pedal has no effect on operation.
Once up to speed, everything works great. TC locks when it should, tranny shifts into overdrive, and will drop gears like normal when I lay into it.

What is going on??
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Edit: I found a broken OD accumulator spring inside the valve body, and it was replaced by a spring included in the shift kit.

Last edited by BreakerBar; 05-15-2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:55 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a thought, and this shouldn't effect first gear but, any chance you might have a misfire?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:07 AM
My360
Professional

I'm having pretty much the same problem. I wish I knew what it was as well. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the torque converter.... another solenoid issue or something.
Best of luck to you, though. I'm buying a PATC (that's about the best advice I can give), I'd really like t get the stock tranny fixed for a back up.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 AM
BreakerBar

I suppose a misfire is possible. Did plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and coil back in September. Although wouldn't a misfire be noticeable revving the motor in neutral or park? This whole thing really has me scratching my head.

My360- That's what I'm probably going to do before too long also. I have another 46RE in my backyard that I pulled out a wrecked truck. I want to rebuild that one with PATC's Level II Viper Rebuild combo kit. $750 or so and it comes with a new TC. Not bad. Just want to get my current transmission limping along until I have the funds.

Last edited by BreakerBar; 05-16-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:17 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

U-joint? (s)

Old 05-16-2013, 09:34 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Disconnect eight pin electrical connector at trans. You will have zero automatic function. You will HAVE to shift manually. If it runs thru all the gears nice this way, it is an electrical problem, if it doesn't, time for a rebuild....

Old 05-16-2013, 11:17 AM
BreakerBar

Disconnected the 8 Pin, still no change in operation. Is it possible that the torque converter is taking a dive? With the 8 pin unplugged, should the transmission shift nicely though the gears even with a bad TC? I found the average sludge in the transmission pan, but only a few minuscule metal shavings.
Maybe I'm just in denial

Old 05-16-2013, 01:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Disconnecting the connector takes the PCM out of the loop. All operation is purely mechanical/hydraulic. if it still acts up that way, it is a mechanical problem, and its time for a rebuild. Sorry man.

Denial, Not just a river in Egypt.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:39 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

The way I look at it, it's not denial if you're starting to save up for a rebuild.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:34 PM
BreakerBar

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Disconnecting the connector takes the PCM out of the loop. All operation is purely mechanical/hydraulic.
What I'm asking though is this: is the TC controlled by the PCM or is it purely mechanical? I consider myself a fairly experienced backyard/driveway mechanic, but my knowledge regarding the internal workings of an automatic transmission is laughable at best.

Are the symptoms indicative of a trashed tranny, or can I possibly get by with just a new torque converter while I'm pro-building the transmission I have in the backyard?

Definitely ordering the kit regardless, as soon as I can afford it.

Quick Reply: 46RE Issues accelerating from a stop