1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission,steering and parking brake question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:03 PM
tooltime
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission,steering and parking brake question

Truck is a 1988 d 100 2wd with a 3.9 motor. My trans makes a noise out of gear and clutch not pressed in and in every gear but 4th. A mechanic says the throw out bearing and he took it to another shop and he drove it and said it is in the transmission. I took it to a trans shop and he said it would cost $800.00 to $1200.00. A friend said nothing will happen if I don't fix it and he said just replace the bearing and see if that is the problem. Today I had the mechanic fix my steering by turning those 2 bolts and it is tight maybe a little too tight. Will it stay that way or get a little looser? Last problem the parking brake does not hold very good how many times do I need to adjust it 1/2 a turn or a few turns? Thanks

Old 05-06-2013, 07:37 PM
tooltime
Veteran

I forget to put that the transmission is a 4 speed with OD to me a 5 speed.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Sniper X
Captain

OK, let me see if I can decipher this. Trans out of gear noisy is the throw out bearing most likely. Does it whine IN GEAR? In ALL the gears? That CAN be a bad throw out bearing as well but can also be a clutch or pressure plate. In all my years of driving and working on cars, I have NEVER seen all 4 gears make moise unless the trans was LOW on fluid or out of fluid or had been run out of fluid then had it replaced. SO, unless that has happen or is the case, it is probably the throw out bearing. I am not sure what you are talking about on the bolts on the steering but you probably mean the slop adjustment. Yes that can be too tight but that would make it feel a little too quick off center and probably stiffen up the feel of the steering. I'd get him to redo what he did and back off the adjustment a little or replace the steering gear box.

On the park brake, yes, adjust it till the cable is taught but not so tight it is holding the brake on when it is released. It should engage at about half way thru its throw and be tight enough to hold on a pretty steep hill at full on.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 PM
tooltime
Veteran

It whines in gear except 4th or when clutch is pressed in. In other gears it whines and in OD it starts when I get about 45 mph and when the clutch is out. Yes I was talking about the slop adjustment I will try to get him to work on it soon. thanks

Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 AM
Sniper X
Captain

Well, I am going to guess throw out bearing. And when you have it apart, fully inspect all the clutch parts. I highly suggest just replacing the clutch, TOB, Pressure plate, and having the flywheel resurfaced, then you will have NO regrets or surprises. I have seen far too many TRY to budget a truck to death when they end up spending MORE money on it because they tried to NOT replace something they should have. We had to redo a buddies clutch in my driveway twice in two days because he neglected to buy a throw out bearing the first time.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 PM
tooltime
Veteran

Today I went by that other shop and talked to a guy who listened to the ruck. He said if him he would leave it alone he has had one and let it whine for 5 yrs. He said change the clutch and the bearing comes with the clutch. Shop charge is $350.00 I think and not sure bout the clutch. If got a used trans and new stuff about $1000.00 H yet thankse also said the noise will get louder then it is over. So I don't know what to do

Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

have you check the fluid level?

i adjust my park brake as much as i need to get it to work good but before you do that you may want to make sure the pivoting thing on the side of the frame moves nice and freely. i know over the last couple of weeks i have been doing stupid stuff like that to my trucks so that the park brake works and when i release it everything will pop back to where it needs to be. the pivoting thing can make the park brake seem stiffer and also not fully disengage the park brake. i personally think it is a stupid design. about twice a year i have to disconnect my park brake cables to free the thing up.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Sniper X
Captain

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
have you check the fluid level?

i adjust my park brake as much as i need to get it to work good but before you do that you may want to make sure the pivoting thing on the side of the frame moves nice and freely. i know over the last couple of weeks i have been doing stupid stuff like that to my trucks so that the park brake works and when i release it everything will pop back to where it needs to be. the pivoting thing can make the park brake seem stiffer and also not fully disengage the park brake. i personally think it is a stupid design. about twice a year i have to disconnect my park brake cables to free the thing up.
yep, I carry what I call the Park brake hammer in my truck for that last reason! LOL!!

Quick Reply: transmission,steering and parking brake question