Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'06 Grand Caravan flickering odometer and lights

Old 04-23-2013, 11:17 AM
CateyHamilton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Grand Caravan flickering odometer and lights

I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but I don't have the time to hunt all the posts down and I'm hoping someone with this problem can tell me what resolved it.

I just got an '06 Grand Caravan from a used dealership. It was fine during the short test drive, and it was fine as we went down the block to re-fill. In the interest of full disclosure, while we were re-filling, my husband and I didn't notice that a guy was re-filling the station, so we might have fueled up at the time and put a lot of stirred up gunk into our system. We're wondering if that is a contributor to the problem, or if it's just a normal glitch with Caravans.

Anyways, the problem is this: We'll be driving and suddenly the odometer lights will start flickering a little. Within seconds all the gauge needles will go nuts, moving up and down rapidly. If the radio is on, it'll shut on and off, and the A/C will turn on and off as well. At night, it also causes the headlights to flicker. It seems to do this more when we have to hit the breaks as if we're sitting at a stop light for a minute or more, it'll start up and get so bad the engine will stall. It seems to quit for a few minutes when we hit the gas after stopping, but it's also done this when not using the breaks. I sat in the driveway, holding the breaks with the car in park, reverse, and drive, but not going anywhere and it never acted up.

Does anyone know what's causing this? Could fueling up while they were re-filling the station have caused this? Or is it something else? Anyone know how to fix this? We'll be taking it in to our mechanic soon, and any ideas on where to point him will save us time and money. I need this fixed because I'm scared we'll stall on the freeway with my infant son, or worse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '06 Grand Caravan flickering odometer and lights