2008 - Current Dodge Avenger The new Dodge Avenger gives a sporty look to the often drab mid-sized sedan class, with the possible future option of AWD and a performance engine upgrade.

2011 dodge avenger coolant help

Old 11-14-2012, 11:23 PM
pvmerchant
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 dodge avenger coolant help

So last night my boyfriend topped off my car (he says it was just a little bit needed from the add line to full) with regular 50/50 coolant. I told him before that it uses a special kind but he didnt listen. My question is now do i go pay the $100 plus to have it flushed, or is it such a small amount that it shouldnt be an issue? Thanks.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:40 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you are fine... just relax.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:14 AM
pvmerchant

Originally Posted by steak59
you are fine... just relax.
Well ive read up a little and all have said its not good to mix it with HOAT coolant so its hard to relax.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:15 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you read the Label of ingredients in coolants, they are just a solution with a mixture of ethylene glycol and other corrosion prevention chemical.
Mixing of coolant will shorten the life spent of the coolants, it doesn't destroy your engine.
I won't write a chemistry essay to explain, but there are plenty on the web if you search, like why certain company formulate their coolant with specific chemicals.

You have about 2.5 gallon of coolants in your vehicle, adding few ounce of universal coolant will not change much.

2011 and older Chrysler vehicle all uses HOAT coolants, 2012+ uses OAT. There are a lot of similarity between OAT and HOAT, the differences is merely a presence/absence of few chemicals.

Last edited by steak59; 11-15-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:15 PM
pvmerchant

Originally Posted by steak59
If you read the Label of ingredients in coolants, they are just a solution with a mixture of ethylene glycol and other corrosion prevention chemical.
Mixing of coolant will shorten the life spent of the coolants, it doesn't destroy your engine.
I won't write a chemistry essay to explain, but there are plenty on the web if you search, like why certain company formulate their coolant with specific chemicals.

You have about 2.5 gallon of coolants in your vehicle, adding few ounce of universal coolant will not change much.

2011 and older Chrysler vehicle all uses HOAT coolants, 2012+ uses OAT. There are a lot of similarity between OAT and HOAT, the differences is merely a presence/absence of few chemicals.
ok but he didnt use a hoat or oat blend. He used a 50/50 blend prestone coolant on top of the HOAT. Thats ok??

Old 11-15-2012, 04:53 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmerchant
So last night my boyfriend topped off my car (he says it was just a little bit needed from the add line to full) with regular 50/50 coolant. I told him before that it uses a special kind but he didnt listen. My question is now do i go pay the $100 plus to have it flushed, or is it such a small amount that it shouldnt be an issue? Thanks.
Pvmerchant,

As per the Owner's Manual, page 371, mixing engine coolant other then specified HOAT engine coolant, may result in engine damage and may decrease corrosion protection. If a non-HOAT engine coolant is introduced into the cooling system in an emergency, it should be replaced with the specified engine coolant as soon as possible.

I would recommend getting the vehicle towed to your closest dealer to have the coolant flushed.

You can contact Roadside Assistance at 1-800-363-4869.

I hope this helps.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:56 PM
pvmerchant

Thats what i figured...ill take it in saturday. Towing it seems extreme. Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 dodge avenger coolant help