Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Cruise Control Problem

Old 09-02-2005, 11:15 PM
John-Paul
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Problem

Hi guys. I am having a problem getting my cruise control to work on my 96 Stratus 2.4 auto. I turn it on and the light goes on but the cruise doesn't even engage. The light will not shut off either until I shut the car off and restart it. It has always worked until now, although I have only owned the car for just under a year.

Anyone ever experience this?

John-Paul

Old 09-03-2005, 06:03 AM
faustburger
Default RE: Cruise Control Problem

Please check the connector coming to cruise control actuator for being properly seated.
It is under side of the actuator.
I had similar problem with my 1995 Stratus and reason was thar connector.
Do you get any codes/engine light on?

Old 09-03-2005, 01:19 PM
John-Paul

No there are no codes, no engine light and the cc worked last week, although it did act kind of funny as it wouldn't seem to engage sometimes. Sometimes it needed to be activated more that once or twice before working if that helps you at all.

Old 09-03-2005, 06:52 PM
faustburger

Service manual asks to check following things:
1:Fuses
2:Check operation of brake lights cause voltage from light switch deactivates cruise.
If brake lights stay on all the time or don't come on at all repair the brake lights circuit.
3:Check the control cable between cruise control servo and the throttle linkage for free movement
4:Cruise control system uses inputs from vehicle speed sensor,check sensor.

Point that you don't get any fault codes actually should mean that speed sensor is working and
connector I mentioned should be ok.(I got code 34 when connector was not connected)
Electrical fault would be possible,those occasional faults coming and going seem to be the case with 1gen body.
But again you don't have codes.
How about vacuum pipe coming to servo,have you checked it.
Without any codes from the list in the beginning we have only points 2 and 3 left,and that problem with vacuum.
According to manual if all things on the list are ok car should be taken to dealer for checking cause
further investigation means need for special testers.
I hope you find the reason for malfunction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cruise Control Problem