Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Oil leak

Old 09-24-2012, 06:56 PM
abouttime
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

Hi, had a new engine installed 11,000 miles ago from O,Reilly, if i travel at freeway speeds oil leaks from rear and front main seals but not in town. suggesting crankcase pressure. Did replace rear seal under warranty as that leaked first , but just started leaking again. have had a new PCV fitted but old one seems fine...any suggestions.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM
DoubleWasp
Rookie

Compression and leakdown test for sure. Sounds like some serious Blowby. See evidence of oil leaking from anywhere else? Check the breather tube that runs up to the air filter housing. If you have serious crankcase pressure, you'll see oil there too.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM
abouttime
Amateur

no oil in air filter housing, not burning oil just a little..also placed my hand over oil filler tube at high revs and no pressure at all..

Last edited by abouttime; 09-24-2012 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:24 PM
funair02
All Star

you may want to spend the 60 bucks for a profressional opinion. With rebuilds, there are a lot of things that can go wrong. It sounds like, maybe, the crank wasnt ground correctly - that could be why you are getting multiple oil leaks. You could also be leaking from the rear of the head and it is dripping down to the back of the pan looking like a real main seal...or maybe the front cover is leaking etc. etc.

Just from my observation, and don't take this personally, there is only one rebuild company in business today that is worth a darn. Their name is Jasper. I have heard nothing but good about them and bad about everyone else from pros in the industry. There is a reason why Jaspers cost twice as much as everyone else. Also, why I am saying take it to a pro is because you probably have a couple of problems that need to be addressed.

Good luck...

Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 PM
abouttime
Amateur

Could not agree more about jasper, had one of thier trannys fitted after the engine rebuild,wish i had not taken the short cut on the engine.I will get a pro to look at it,
today i drove 170 miles through the mountains with oil filler cap removed an taped the hole leaving a gap for gasses to escape..no oil leak . Most anoying thing is the problem with the front seal and oil on the belt is why i changed the engine, was told crank float was knoking out the seal and would do the same if he replaced it. THANKS FOR YOUR ADVISE.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil leak