1st Gen Neon 1995 through 1999 Neons

98 neon fuel pump fuse blowing out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 03:06 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are we telling him to unplug the pump when he just got done doing a head swap? Check all electrical connections & harnesses around the head. When my alternator wireing harness clips broke after I changed my alternator it would fall onto the axels and I would blow #20 fuses all the time and it took a while to find. Something is obviously grounding out and 99.9% chance ITS NOT A DEAD FUEL PUMP, its a ground issue in the engine bay in or around the harnesses, check the harness over with a fine tooth comb & report back.

Putting new fuses & relays in is treating the symptom not the problem.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 09-18-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:16 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
Why are we telling him to unplug the pump when he just got done doing a head swap? Check all electrical connections & harnesses around the head. When my alternator wireing harness clips broke after I changed my alternator it would fall onto the axels and I would blow #20 fuses all the time and it took a while to find. Something is obviously grounding out and 99.9% chance ITS NOT A DEAD FUEL PUMP, its a ground issue in the engine bay in or around the harnesses, check the harness over with a fine tooth comb & report back.

Putting new fuses & relays in is treating the symptom not the problem.

Obviously the first thing you should do is check over your connections. And I thought this was already covered in the last thread. And scoot back to the post after the fuel pump was ruled out, it says its more then likely a ground issue. But first he needs to rule out the ASD relay circuit, which could also have a short in it. These both run off the same fuse that is blowing.. But your the man, take it from here i guess. And sorry I thought you needed good fuses and relays to check the circuit but I could be wrong.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:04 PM
JoshSlash87
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I_Ride_Neon
Obviously the first thing you should do is check over your connections. And I thought this was already covered in the last thread. And scoot back to the post after the fuel pump was ruled out, it says its more then likely a ground issue. But first he needs to rule out the ASD relay circuit, which could also have a short in it. These both run off the same fuse that is blowing.. But your the man, take it from here i guess. And sorry I thought you needed good fuses and relays to check the circuit but I could be wrong.
Hey bro theres nothing wrong with doing what you're doing by telling him that, I missed this thread starters last thread I just started using the Neon forum again this week as I've gotten a Ram and been more active over in that section, but if this was already covered in another section then I guess you're right but if not he needs to let us know if his connections are properly working & hooked up or not. To me I'd bet the farm he's either missing a ground somewhere or has a wire thats messed up that is grounded something or other out, I think his fuel pump is fine.

By the way I_Ride_Neon, how have you been bud? Its Josh you sold the underdrive pully to from 2-3 years ago ;-) Been off for a while as my Neon has been pretty much indestructable (252,000 on original motor that I turbo'ed & had 17psi on, its still going!) I only came back to the Neon section to figure out a misfire lol turns out its a leaking spark plug tube seal lol. Anyway man pm me your email would be great to shoot the breeze with you again.

Last edited by JoshSlash87; 09-18-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 PM
YourXdadsXstdz

no i cant read it lol but thank you i will try that and to just make sure i think i will buy the coolant temp. sensor i think it is whats not letting my fans turn on?

Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 PM
YourXdadsXstdz

no i cant read it lol but thank you i will try that and to just make sure i think i will buy the coolant temp. sensor i think it is whats not letting my fans turn on? oh i checked the wiring and its fine i didnt remove any wires when i did the head swap all i did was remove the injector wires, msd, manifold sensors, and egr valve, i still dont understand why it was doing that i changed the fuel pump and now i works the old pump was bad and i dont understand why that wire is doing that it looks like i i either goes to the injectors or the fans? and now that i unhooked that wire my fans dont turn on? lol so ima buy the coolant temp. sensor hope it works

Old 09-19-2012, 01:37 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by YourXdadsXstdz
no i cant read it lol but thank you i will try that and to just make sure i think i will buy the coolant temp. sensor i think it is whats not letting my fans turn on? oh i checked the wiring and its fine i didnt remove any wires when i did the head swap all i did was remove the injector wires, msd, manifold sensors, and egr valve, i still dont understand why it was doing that i changed the fuel pump and now i works the old pump was bad and i dont understand why that wire is doing that it looks like i i either goes to the injectors or the fans? and now that i unhooked that wire my fans dont turn on? lol so ima buy the coolant temp. sensor hope it works
I think your missing a round or 2 somewhere. I will scan a diagram at work today and get back to you so you can help identify what your working with.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:41 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JoshSlash87
Hey bro theres nothing wrong with doing what you're doing by telling him that, I missed this thread starters last thread I just started using the Neon forum again this week as I've gotten a Ram and been more active over in that section, but if this was already covered in another section then I guess you're right but if not he needs to let us know if his connections are properly working & hooked up or not. To me I'd bet the farm he's either missing a ground somewhere or has a wire thats messed up that is grounded something or other out, I think his fuel pump is fine.

By the way I_Ride_Neon, how have you been bud? Its Josh you sold the underdrive pully to from 2-3 years ago ;-) Been off for a while as my Neon has been pretty much indestructable (252,000 on original motor that I turbo'ed & had 17psi on, its still going!) I only came back to the Neon section to figure out a misfire lol turns out its a leaking spark plug tube seal lol. Anyway man pm me your email would be great to shoot the breeze with you again.
Hey whats up. Yea I just did a Chrysler van at work with the same issue. Turns out the o2 and fuel pump were on the same circuit and the wire to the o2 was rubbing on the exhaust. Yea I have blown up a few neons since then. For some reason I have an issue with pushing limits with these cars. With the price of the srt-4's going down I am going to get into them a little more. All the 1st gens around here have rust and I dont mess with rust I hate it. I will hopefully be getting a newer ram soon, my chevy pickup has been nothing but a money pit. Glad to hear yours is still going strong! I think you bought that unorthodox UDP from my SOHC all motor setup. That was my favorite pulley, it was on 6 different cars. Plus I bought it used when i got it!

Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 PM
I_Ride_Neon
Record Breaker

See if this helps: Name:  fuel%20pump%20diuagram_zps51812205.gif
Views: 703
Size:  53.7 KB
Name:  digram%203_zpsec4a46c1.gif
Views: 1302
Size:  41.4 KB
Name:  digram%202_zps60862e50.gif
Views: 601
Size:  21.0 KB

Last edited by I_Ride_Neon; 09-19-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Grahampham

Did you ever find out the cause? I'm having the same issue.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:56 PM
96BBNeon

Just saying i had this same damn problem threw a new pump at it didnt fix it. What did was going through every section of wire and connectors and cleaning and elctrical taping. My problem areas were the o2 connectors and wires rubbing on axles.

Quick Reply: 98 neon fuel pump fuse blowing out?