Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2011 Caravan: Brake pad and rotor recommendations

Old 08-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Buschman007
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Caravan: Brake pad and rotor recommendations

I can feel one of the rotors on my 11 Caravan is warped. Not sure if it's something I do, but my old 95 Intrepid would have frequent rotor warping problems. I always attributed this to the rotors in that particular model being too small for the weight of the vehicle. With that car I would get NAPA rotors with a lifetime replacement. Then just swap them out when they would warp, and to my recollection it was usually the front disks that would warp.

Not sure if warping rotors is a common Chrysler issue or I'm just supremely lucky. But I need to resolve this issue. I have a few questions.

1) Is there an easy way to determine which rotor is warping?
2) Any rotor recommendations? If the stock dodge rotors are not up to task is there a brand of rotor that will eliminate this headache?
2a) Has anyone replaced their rotors with NAPA lifetime guaranteed rotors? What's your take?
3) I bought the car with 20k or so miles on it. The front pads don't dust much at all, where the rear pads dust like crazy. I've noticed a few other Caravans around with similar rear dusting issues. Were my front pads replaced with lower dusting ones? Does Dodge use a different compound on the front and the rear?
3a) If I were to replace front and rear with a solid pad, that is low dusting, that will avoid any rotor war page and give me good stopping power, what would you recommend?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by Buschman007; 08-06-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Amateur

Dodge always had a poor OE braking system. A few Dodge dealers in canada use the Agna brand

I upgrade my 2011 GC with Agna xtreme stop http://www.xtremestop.com/ since i'm towing a 2500 lbs boat (3500 with passengers and luggage) Probably the best replacement on the market but expensive (275.00$ a pair without labour) i don't regret paying the extra $$$ for quality instead of copywrong chinese stuff

Even if they are made in Canada, you could probably get a better price in the states...

Old 08-07-2012, 10:42 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

well, front brake has 3yr36k extended waranty, dodge will replace front pad and rotor for $100 co-pay.
If you are seriously looking to spend money on upgrading, the 2012 GC has Dual Piston Caliper in front, and larger caliper in rear. Dodge finally decides to fix the brake after 4 long year...
I think it will be a good swap.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:13 PM
mrgto69
Default 2011 Dodge Caravan replacing rear pads procedure

Can anyone steer me in the right direction for replacing my rear brake pads in my 2011 Caravan. I'm tired of washing the rims 2-3 times more than the front rims. I took a look at the calipers and it looks like I can do it, but the piston looks like it screws back into the caliper housing. Is there a tool available that does not cost a fortune I can use and do I have to do anything to the ABS system? I am not opening the system, just replacing the pads. Thanks... Mike

Old 09-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

96 GC, 212,000 miles. I've changed the front pads twice turned the rotors once and still using the original rotors. Seen similar on other 3rd and 4th generation vans. 5th generation vans are plagued with brake problems. Where did Chrysler go wrong?

Last edited by Cougar41; 09-05-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Buschman007
Amateur

I took the 11GC in for some warrantee work and asked them to just check the rotors and see if they could tell me which unit was warped. They ended up replace all the front pads and rotors under warranty($100 deductible). I went ahead and replaced the rear pads on my own as I was sick of the brake dust. I went with the ceramic Wagner Thermoquiets.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ear+brake+pads

So far so good, but I really haven't had them on there long enough to give a comprehensive evaluation of them. Initial reports are good though.

Mike

Old 09-06-2012, 01:21 PM
mrgto69

Now to get to my question... do I screw the piston back into the caliper housing?? I know there is a tool, but where can I get one that is affordable? Do I have to do anything to the ABS computer if I'm not opening the system? I already bought my pads...

Old 09-06-2012, 01:26 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgto69
Now to get to my question... do I screw the piston back into the caliper housing?? I know there is a tool, but where can I get one that is affordable? Do I have to do anything to the ABS computer if I'm not opening the system? I already bought my pads...
Autozone rent them out for free. If you want to buy, try online.
Amazon Amazon

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Caravan: Brake pad and rotor recommendations