Dodge Magnum The Dodge Magnum, the wagon that made wagons cool. The unique look of the Dodge Magnum makes any trim level, from SE to SRT-8, an absolute head turner.

Tune-up Help- 2006 Dodge Magnum SXT

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Mostylez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tune-up Help- 2006 Dodge Magnum SXT

I just did an oil change on my 2006 Dodge Magnum SXT and they informed me that I need a tune up (which i knew). They quoted me a price of $260 so i thought it was for a complete tune up but when i called they said it would just be the changing of the spark plugs. My husband (who is out of town on business) said that's way too much just to change the plugs. He said i could buy the plugs and he will change them next week when he gets home.

I want to know what a complete tune up consist of and how much of it can be done without service shops or dealerships? I would rather him do most of it so we can cut cost.....Please Help!!!

**I already know i need to buy spark plugs...What else do i need to buy that can be changed by a regular human being?.. (Car mileage is 90K)

Old 06-14-2012, 02:55 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Mostylez
I just did an oil change on my 2006 Dodge Magnum SXT and they informed me that I need a tune up (which i knew). They quoted me a price of $260 so i thought it was for a complete tune up but when i called they said it would just be the changing of the spark plugs. My husband (who is out of town on business) said that's way too much just to change the plugs. He said i could buy the plugs and he will change them next week when he gets home.

I want to know what a complete tune up consist of and how much of it can be done without service shops or dealerships? I would rather him do most of it so we can cut cost.....Please Help!!!

**I already know i need to buy spark plugs...What else do i need to buy that can be changed by a regular human being?.. (Car mileage is 90K)
Mostylez,

A complete tune up definition can bring you many different answers. I would say to follow the recommendations in your owners manual. If you are not using the vehicle in dusty conditions and do not do a great amount of stop and go driving I would suggest you follow maintenance schedule "A" in your owners manual. Link below if you do not have a manual.

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/

I am assuming that you have a 3.5L engine in that vehicle and if so the plug replacement is suggested at 96k or 99k miles depending on the schedule that fits your driving habits.. Removal instruction below.

3.5L

Always remove the ignition coil assembly by grasping at the spark plug boot, turning the assembly 1/2 turn and pulling straight back in a steady motion.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. 2. Remove the intake manifold. 3. Prior to removing the ignition coils, spray compressed air around the coil area and spark plug to remove contaminates from around spark plug tube. On 3.5L engines, it is necessary to loosen the screws by alternating back and forth. Do not lose the spacers under the coil when loosening the screws.
4. Remove the ignitions coil. 5. Remove the spark plug using a quality socket with a rubber or foam insert. 6. Inspect the spark plug condition.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Kevin Connor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Mostylez,

A complete tune up definition can bring you many different answers. I would say to follow the recommendations in your owners manual. If you are not using the vehicle in dusty conditions and do not do a great amount of stop and go driving I would suggest you follow maintenance schedule "A" in your owners manual. Link below if you do not have a manual.

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/

I am assuming that you have a 3.5L engine in that vehicle and if so the plug replacement is suggested at 96k or 99k miles depending on the schedule that fits your driving habits.. Removal instruction below.

3.5L

Always remove the ignition coil assembly by grasping at the spark plug boot, turning the assembly 1/2 turn and pulling straight back in a steady motion.
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable. 2. Remove the intake manifold. 3. Prior to removing the ignition coils, spray compressed air around the coil area and spark plug to remove contaminates from around spark plug tube. On 3.5L engines, it is necessary to loosen the screws by alternating back and forth. Do not lose the spacers under the coil when loosening the screws.
4. Remove the ignitions coil. 5. Remove the spark plug using a quality socket with a rubber or foam insert. 6. Inspect the spark plug condition.
removing intake manifold is pretty easy. just be careful when disconnecting wires. and the transmission tube is kind of a pain in the &&&& while you have the manifold off clean the inside with several cans of throttle body cleaner or whatever your favorite brand is. Change PVC valve. it screws into back of head and is easy to get to with manifold off. Might want to consider new gasket for intake manifold... about 8.00 and it will be fresh rubber..

Quick Reply: Tune-up Help- 2006 Dodge Magnum SXT