Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

'07 Power steering pump/reservoir & Belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:55 PM
LtLaForge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '07 Power steering pump/reservoir & Belt replacement

I have been doing some research in preparation to work on my in-laws '07 Caravan (3.3l Gas).

His PS has been making some groaning noise, usually indicative of a failing PS pump. After browsing the forums the reservoir has also presented itself as another source of his woes.

Anyway my questions are more to do with procedure. I have not been so lucky to find very many FAQs here as compared to the Ram forums.

I found this post helpful for disassembly : https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...placement.html

So my questions are:
1. Does this FAQ work for an '07 3.3l Caravan?

2. A few posts mention using a vacuum system to pull air out of the PS system after replacement. What would be the best tool or way to do this? Or any shade tree ways of doing the same thing?

When I have worked on PS systems before I have found that after refilling the PS reservoir and starting the car with the wheels elevated I can turn the steering wheel from stop to stop several times to work out the air.

3. What is the best way to replace the serpentine Belt?
When I last looked at the van it seemed like a Bi&*^ to get to the tensioner. I found this post for a '01, is it still relevant for an '07? https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...ne-belt-2.html

TIA for everyone's help.
Jason

Old 03-18-2012, 03:45 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes it does, 2001 to 2007 are pretty much the same.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:04 PM
TJeepman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reservoir: The most likely source of a whine noise due to a fine screen inside the reservoir getting dirty and restricting flow. Replace it or fill it to the top to see what happens to the noise.

Pump: The power steering pump is a pain to work on. Best to remove the wiper tray. Power steering pump can be a source of the whine as well.

Moving the wheels from underneath can actually cause spillage out the reservoir and induce air. Turn the wheels lock to lock a few times while driving in a parking lot should get rid of the air.

Serpentine belt is easy enough if you use a serpentine belt tool. Remove the splash shield to gain access.

Although many Mechanics think differently, or don't know, the power steering system calls for transmission fluid ATF+4.

Quick Reply: '07 Power steering pump/reservoir & Belt replacement