Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Trouble after replacing fuel filter 04 Ram 2500 Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 05:12 PM
spacemtndog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble after replacing fuel filter 04 Ram 2500 Cummins

I replaced my fuel filter last week. This was the first time I have done this without help. I followed directions on the mopar filter insert. While I was trying to push it down in the reservoir it was difficult to push. The directions said to gently push it. (I did not add fuel into the chamber when I put the filter in) I started it and it took about 20 seconds to start. Over the next week each time I went to start it took longer and longer to start. It got to the point I was needing to pump the heck out of the peddle to make it start. I opened the filter up looked it over - it looked fine. After returning the same filter to the reservoir and closing it. I started it up again 20 seconds to start. I let it run shut it off. It started right up after that. Now two days later it is progressively harder to start with each try. I put 2 brand new batteries in it just before I changed the filter - its cranking over fine.

Being a girl I'd hate to take this thing in to the shop and get a huge bill for air in the lines or something I can fix. If you have any suggestions I'd like to know what to try here. I suspect I forced air into the system but really I don't if that would make it progressively worse and it the thing about how it got better when I opened it up confuses me.

Im baffled - Thanks

Old 12-21-2011, 12:44 AM
mikesram
Professional

Did you turn the key to the on position for 30 secs. then start it? Is there a engine check light on? Hope they gave you the right filter. I wold go back through the steps and recheck everything, Has to be something simple. If you find out anything let us know.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 PM
maxwell11

space,
my 05 is due for a oil change and fuel filter change,
i am taking it to my service station, mech on duty there does great work and i do not have to worry about problems after his work.

he was so booked, i could not even get it in before christmas.

not telling you what to do, but sometimes its best to take it to someone who knows his business or let them help you through the process at least once.

does not hurt my feelings letting him do that type work, its his job, he is properly trained and does good work.

You can mess up your truck and cost you big $$$$$ by just making some small mistake.
these trucks are big and tough, but need proper maintenance.

Good luck

and do not worry what someone says, just get it fixed right.
my 05, just starts right up after the heater lights go out.

let us know what you find wrong with the truck,

Old 01-18-2012, 01:43 PM
rchurin

I am experiencing the same problem. When it wouldn't start the first time, I brought it to the *shudder* dealer who told me the problem was a clogged fuel filter. The truck ran fine for a few weeks and then died again. I have since gone through four more filters, the last on only lasting 80 miles. I brought it to a diesel repair shop. They could find nothing wrong. They checked the entire fuel system, pressure checks, code readings. They ran it for 150 miles on the dyno, and checked everything again. Filter was clean, lifter and injector pump pressures in spec. This only happens upon startup. Once it is running it is fine. Any suggestions? I am making Fleetguard rich with all these filters. Thanks

Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM
spacemtndog
Default Outcome

Here is all I can tell you about my situation and how it was resolved: Keep in mind this truck is an early 2004 which means the lift pump (notoriously problematic) is located behind the fuel filter housing NOT in the tank.

I took it to Dodge for diagnostic because I was afraid it wouldn't start anymore and they were close by. They ran all the "Tests" on their list for injectors. Main thing they found was a fuel return to tank of 500ml. Supposedly they checked they lift pump volume but refused to check pressure. (By this point they were convinced they could get $4000 for injectors and refused to look further.)

Being that it is a common rail system I would need a special tool to check that pressure - which was like a couple hundred dollars. They got it running and I drove it to another diesel shop and they wanted to also check the lift pump first but lacked the proper tool (Right I know isn't this their business to have these tools?? - Whatever)

So they couldn't check it but spayed silicon spray in the air intake to get me started - They said that because it started they believed it was injectors ?!!? - In my limited knowledge set I still think silicon spray will help any low fuel delivery issue but what the heck right? They also wanted $4000 to do injectors.

I needed to be in Anchorage in two days time for a week long. So I used the silicon spray to get it started each time till I made it up there. The next morning no starting at all even with spray. So I had little choice. I called a diesel shop to come get it. They sprayed the silicon in the heating coil box and got it going.

I asked them three times - I repeat THREE TIMES to check the lift pump pressure. Nope wouldn't do it. They replaced with 6 Bosh rebuilt injectors and then also after the fact replaced the lift pump because it was "Going Bad."

So to tell you the truth I don't know if it was injectors or lift pump. I was getting great gas mileage and it did not go up as they claimed it would with new injectors. But now it starts right up no problem better than it has in a long long time. To the tune of $3,300 (A bargain I guess)

However I know that I made two errors in changing my filter. #1 I did not bleed the yellow valve to let excess fuel out. #2 I did not wipe out any sediment in the bottom of the filter housing.

The only theory out there is either the air I trapped in there worked its way out but stressed already failing injectors - or there may have been debris in the bottom that clogged them up.

That is all I can provide you - Sorry about the delay in reply My server kept crashing when I initially tried following up last month

Old 01-22-2012, 05:41 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

The best fuel filter to use in 2002 and newer trucks is the 5 micron Baldwin PF 7977, the Fleetguard is rated at 7 micron and the Dodge filter for 2002 is rated at 10 micron thus it lets bigger particles of dirt get into your injectors and take them out. Also if using an aftermarket filter make sure its will remove water from diesels, some like Wix do not remove water.

Old 01-24-2012, 05:50 PM
rchurin
Default The plot thickens

Ok, my filer needs to be replaced every 50 miles. This weekend, when it would not start, I pulled the filter out, let it drain, and put the SAME filter back in. It fired right up!
I have tried everything I can find on the net, and have given up. It is now at the mercy of the dealer. The over/under is $6000.

Quick Reply: Trouble after replacing fuel filter 04 Ram 2500 Cummins