Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2000 Caravan Running ruff,stalling

Old 12-04-2011, 04:12 PM
00CaravanSport
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Caravan Running ruff,stalling

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3
239000 miles.

Picked this van up pretty cheap to use as a spare vehicle and currently it is not very driveable in it's condition. It's needed a few things which i have done so far including clockspring/trans mount/oil pressure sender and other misc things.

It's running ruff i was able to drive it through most of the summer a/c blows cold! I have already seafoamed engine/gas/oil. New plugs, new air filter, new oil, just took apart the throttle body this afternoon and cleaned it out well. Very dirty...lots of miles but no change still running the same.

Engine is showing no codes or past codes i have a scanner.

Symptoms...surging idle which it will stall out a lot of times unless i give it gas. When turning it will also stall out sometimes which is the big reason why i don't drive it because it will cut off even at speed. Just overall running ruff in the lower rpms up top seems to pull pretty well.

Any ideas? At this point i'm not looking to put much more into it because it's just not worth it with the mileage.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by 00CaravanSport; 12-04-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:10 AM
00CaravanSport

Anybody?

Old 12-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Free stuff? AutoZone or the like will loan you a compression tester and fuel pressure gauge. Hows the plug wire resistance? Connections at all sensors clean and tight? Are they getting reference voltage and wire harness continuity good? Specifically verify IAC valve port in throttle body is clear. Is it idling up when you turn on the A/C. Test/clean EGR.

Last edited by Cougar41; 12-18-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:27 PM
jumpdrive2
Rookie

Said you changed plugs, did you use champion, I tried bosch once and van ran bad, stalled, surges and miss fired.

Old 01-22-2012, 04:32 PM
00CaravanSport

Used champions. I drove the truck for a couple days to work and was running decently still ruff/surging idle. Started to get bad on the second day and finally threw a code for PO172. Which is a rich condition. Also noticed mpg was in the 14mpg range.

Thoughts?

Old 02-21-2012, 07:23 PM
00CaravanSport

I finally got to the truck this evening and got it fixed and running like a champ! Bad EGR Valve. May have been just the EGR solenoid but i felt better just replacing the entire part since i had it.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:02 PM
blknblu

keeping it going .....

Dorman sells many parts for your van which would normally be dealer only parts. The nice part is any car parts store should carry or can order Dorman parts.

You should go to their catalog and print a listing of what they have specifically for your van for future reference.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/

In the application guide search after you put in year, make, model, and engine -
do not select a part type, instead - put in ** for keyword to see all parts they carry for your van.
then select 100 records per page when the results come up.
When this is done, printout the pages (should be 2 pages worth) for reference.

Advance Auto always has coupons you can find easily if you google for them

RockAuto is a great place to order parts online as well

Old 02-22-2012, 04:07 PM
ShelbyGT550
Professional

Check and swap out the map sensor. My 3.0 was running like crap, Just like you desribe, Wanting to stall out until I changed that sensor. When you put it to WOT does it seem to be reving as high as it should be? Or cutting back to soon?

Old 08-13-2015, 11:21 PM
moparornocar1972

I have a 2003 van that is running like crap too! Idles rough and no power to get up hills, code for #3 cylinder misfiring, so changed the plugs (champion platinum) and new wires and coil. then it backfired and the check engine light is still on. then it read code for #1 cylinder misfiring. Put seafoam in tank and drove it home but it still runs like crap with the check engine light on. I do not know what to do.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:38 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Try looking at the injector wire harness on the rear cylinder head. If you have a 3.3 engine. You may want to also remove the rear valve cover and inspect the rocker towers. Number 1 was bad when it broke.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 Caravan Running ruff,stalling