Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

2008 Caravan rear VES issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 12:49 PM
nbk12ul
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Caravan rear VES issue

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan with VES issues. Everything was fine on the way to get an oil change from the dealer. Once we left we didn't notice, but the rear VES was off, we assumed the tech turned it off while pulling into the bay. But, we went to turn it on, and nothing. The power light on the lower DVD player is off, pushing power does not turn it on. Using the menu -> VES -> "turn ves on" button has status of "OFF", pushing the soft button does not turn it on, it just blinks as you press it, but remains status OFF.

Opening the forward rear screen does nothing, no picture, no power apparently. Opening the rear most DVD screen causes the power light to come on, on the lower DVD player and video appears to the screen, but no video, the menu -> VES power still shows status off.

Inserting a DVD into the player (it has power and will accept, eject discs), causes power light on lower dvd player to light, but again menu shows, off, no sound, no video to either screen.

Selecting sat TV does nothing, no video on front screen while in park, no sound, no video to either rear screen.

Van has not lost battery power, has not had any maintenance other than oil changes, has no other issues. All fuses good.

Called dealer, they 100% deny that anything they have done could have caused this, and I kinda believe them unless they intended to cause this, I don't see how oil change would do any of this. But van is not under warranty, and one of the main selling points for us was this system, that is no inop 100%.

Please, if there are any suggestions, I'd be willing to try and report back anything you ask me to try!

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:41 PM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

TSB NUMBER: 08-027-07

SUBJECT:
Flash: VES (Over Head Video Screen) Is Not Powering ON
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Video Entertainment
System (VES) with new software.
MODELS:
2007 - 2008 (KA) Nitro
2007 - 2008 (JS) Sebring/Avenger
2008 (RT) Caravan/Town & Country
2008 (LX) 300 / Magnum / Charger
2008 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2008 (WH) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
2008 (XK) Commander
2008 (XH) Commander (International markets)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to the above listed vehicles equipped with the VES
(sales code XRV or RDJ or RF5) built before January 1, 2008 (MDH 0101XX):
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
VES (Over Head Video Screen) is not powering ON; but VES is active on the bus and is
responding to all the diagnostic commands with StarSCAN® or StarMOBILE.
NOTE: If vehicle is a RT and equipped with dual rear video screens be sure to flash
both units.

NUMBER:
08-027-07
GROUP:

Electrical
DATE: October 27, 2007

A Simple software update might fix your issue.
I doubt an Oil change will do this, most likely a coincidence.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:25 AM
nbk12ul

I'll have to check what version I have installed. I know I've installed every update I received in the mail, so I'll have to check to see if maybe I missed an update.

Question though, if I find I have the latest version that they have released, and there is no further update available. Is there anything I can do in that situation? Maybe just re-install the latest if it will let me do that (haven't tried), or would I have to down-grade and then re-upgrade or something...

Thanks for finding that TSB!

Old 11-27-2011, 10:52 AM
nbk12ul

Well, that was a good update to get, but still exact same response

I found I had only version 9.807, so I updated to 2.402. The update went smooth and perfect, but still no video functions available.

Menu -> Rear VES -> shows "System Off", pressing "turn on" does nothing but blink and make the sound when a button is pushed. Light on lower DVD player for "power" remains off.

While listening to SAT source (works fine), pressing TV shows it init real quick, then shows the current show thats on, then no audio/video, pressing "view video" brings up a blank screen in front (used to work, its not locked out in GA).

Opening the front-rear screen does nothing to anything.

Opening the rear-rear screen causes bottom DVD player light to illuminate, but menu->rear ves-> still shows "system off", pressing power on menu does nothing. Pressing power on lower DVD player does nothing, rear screen turns on with the two boxes side by side saying "1" and "2", but both are blank.

Is there anything else I can try? It sounds as though something died, but I have no idea why... I've never had anything apart on this van, I've never installed any hardware to expand functionality etc, it all just worked perfectly, and even though I'd like to have some other features, I was content for the most part.

HELP!, thanks again!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 AM
nbk12ul

Ahh, I see now that the update in the TSB is not one I can do. But it does sound like that could be it. Can I just have the dealer perform this update, or will they only do the update if they charge for diagnostics first?

Has anyone had any luck on getting this done with minimal cost?

Old 11-27-2011, 02:36 PM
nbk12ul

Well, just another update, still no resolution though...

I remembered a while back after this video issue started, we went out to eat one night and when we got back in the car video was all the sudden working. It lasted that trip, but next time we got in the car the next day it was broke again and hasn't come on at all in over a month.

So anyways, thinking maybe there was a lose connection or something I just removed the radio and DVD player, used some contact cleaner on the connectors and re-seated the connections. Same issue. So then I tried the reset to factory defaults from the service menu, but again no joy...

I also re-seated the connectors on the overhead portion as well, but whatever it is, its not appearing to be a physical connection issue...

Old 11-27-2011, 04:32 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

you have to hit the dealership for update, the 2.4 is for the Radio, you need to Flash both rear VES unit.
Price varies from dealership to dealership. As where I work, a complete update on all computer will probably cost $50. Sometimes we do it for free if you purchase any other service like a a brake job or trans service, etc...
the process does takes roughly 15minute.
If it doesnt fix it, we'll tell u what else you need to fix it.
Just call your dealership and tell them about it and the TSB, see what they say.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Pebbleskn

Hi, I am having a very similar problem with the VES in my 2009 Chrysler Town & Country. Delearship only checked the middle TV and told us it needed to be replaced and would cost $1000. Did not check to see why the entire system would not come on and the rear TV nor the front TV would work. We gave them the TSB referenced above and they claim the software was up to date (although the only software upgrade done since we purchased it was the radio upgrade my husband just did). I am curious if nbk12ul found a solution to his problem. Thanks.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM
steak59
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Pebbleskn
Hi, I am having a very similar problem with the VES in my 2009 Chrysler Town & Country. Delearship only checked the middle TV and told us it needed to be replaced and would cost $1000. Did not check to see why the entire system would not come on and the rear TV nor the front TV would work. We gave them the TSB referenced above and they claim the software was up to date (although the only software upgrade done since we purchased it was the radio upgrade my husband just did). I am curious if nbk12ul found a solution to his problem. Thanks.
What exactly is it doing? U mentioned the front doesnt work either? Did you tried placing a DVD in the DVD player(below the Climate control), or did you tried placing a DVD into the Radio?
what happen when u place DVD in the Radio, does the Front DVD player work? what happen when u play with the Soft key on the Radio like Turn on Rear VES and stuff?
what does the Radio say when u insert a DVD into the DVD player(below the Climate control), does it even say anything like 'reading disc', etc??

quite often the problem is the Radio in my experience, and sometimes it is the DVD player under the Climate Control. If the DVD player, 2nd row, and 3rd row TV dies, you should still be able to play DVD with the Radio with the Front only.
you dealer is right, if the 2nd row TV dies, the 3rd row will not come on.
These entertainment system in cars from the factory are ridiculously expensive, I am not sure if it is even worth the cost of the repair. Premium plan extended waranty is highly recommend if you have a fully loaded vehicle.

Last edited by steak59; 12-19-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Pebbleskn

Hi, I have tried placing DVDs in both units. In the top part it will play on the front screen. In the bottom one below the climate control it will say reading disc but nothing else and then actually look like it is playing but there is no sound and no picture on any of the three TVs. When I press the soft key it just blinks but does not turn it on.

Thanks for replying.

Quick Reply: 2008 Caravan rear VES issue