Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Engine dies when I put it in gear.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:07 PM
JohnKeate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies when I put it in gear.

I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan, 3.8 Engine, 112,000 miles..... Every time I put it in gear the engine dies. Any suggestions?

Old 11-04-2011, 05:24 PM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Until someone pipes in - it could be something as simple as your fuel filter being clogged. I searched the net and they said it was located under the vehicle above the fuel tank. Take a look at Replace 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan fuel filter and How to Replace a Fuel Filter in a Dodge Caravan...

Last edited by vpnavy; 11-04-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:03 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
Is the check engine light on? I'm guessing the torque converter is causing the stalling problem you put the transmission into gear.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:12 AM
steak59
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Put it in neural, start it, left foot on brake.
What if you hold the RPM to around 1200-1500 and then slam it in gear, does it still dies?
Trying to see if the engine is just under powered or Trans is lock up as Master Tech mentioned.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 AM
papaduck
Professional

Be careful with what steak said. The van could lunge forward when you put it in gear with the engine rev'ed if the torque converter is locked.

If the van is facing a wall and if nothing is behind, I would put it in reverse. But also another caution, if you do put it in reverse, know that if it lunges backward it could cause you to increase the throttle without meaning to.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:03 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes be careful and apply the park brake too.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:22 AM
Dave Fedak
Default Hi I am not an auto mechanic but I am a heavy duty equipment mechanic

Originally Posted by JohnKeate
I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan, 3.8 Engine, 112,000 miles..... Every time I put it in gear the engine dies. Any suggestions?
I was just reading some of the responses people were giving .To add to the rev it up high and pop it into gear answer, I just wanted to note that ,fo safety it might be better to jack the van up and securely place blocking under it if you try that . You will have less chance of it lungeing away and you will be able to see if the wheels are turning in gear .

Old 08-24-2020, 09:20 PM
Ray Tsosie

Originally Posted by steak59
Put it in neural, start it, left foot on brake.
What if you hold the RPM to around 1200-1500 and then slam it in gear, does it still dies?
Trying to see if the engine is just under powered or Trans is lock up as Master Tech mentioned.

What does it mean if it does or doesnt? My van just started dying when it goes into gear it had been recently low on tranny fluid

Old 08-27-2020, 10:46 AM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Well on that vintage of vehicle you have a "locking torque converter" which means that at when the speed van gets up to a certain speed and gear the transmission uses a magnet to pull the halves of the converter together since the engine and transmission sides of the converter are turning at the exact same speed and this adds a bit to efficiency. That said you could have a chunk of debris that is binding the transmission too and the engine stalls unable to turn the transmission.

I had a 1990 Olds Cutlass Ciera that I had to leave the torque lockup module unplugged (no electricity means no magnet) or else it would die when I got back below 35mph. The car got **** mileage but still cheaper than fixing it. If you put it up on jacks then you are relieving the backpressure of moving the weight of the vehicle and the transmission has such a small load any RPM should allow it to turn. That's the cheapest way to know if you need tranny work or an idle up solution.

Your engine computer (or something) tells the engine to rev up a bit to deal with the added demand for power. So if the wheels turn when you are off the ground then you know the issue is not enough fuel, spark, or air; or a sensor/computer/etc telling the engine to get more fuel & air.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine dies when I put it in gear.