Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Significant Power Steering Fluid Leak

Old 08-01-2011, 02:00 AM
homerlasvegas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Significant Power Steering Fluid Leak

I'd appreciate help with the following problem: (2000 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3l FlexFuel)

I have a power steering fluid leak. It leaves a significant puddle under the van after it is parked over night. I got under the car to ID the leak. I thought it was the high pressure hose. I replaced the hose and the leak is unchanged. It appears it may be the pump itself. It seems strange. I've never heard of a pump developing a leak. I recently replaced the Timing Cover gasket, Oil Pan Gasket, Water Pump, Thermostat and valve cover gaskets. I also replaced the passenger side motor mount, the front motor/transmission mount and the lower radiator hose and the serpentine belt.

Would a pump just start leaking? The strange thing was after i replaced the high pressure hose. I tested it for leaks so no leaks. I did not see any leakage till the next morning. Which confuses me. Should i pour some kind of THICK sealant/Oil into the thing?

If i have to replace the pump.... I have seen 3 possible ways of doing it. Which is easiest.. ?? 1) Take the exhaust loose? 2) take off the wiper unit 3) remove the Crankshaft pulley. I'm unsure if these are all alternatives for the 2000 3.3 or if they are only for different years. The take of the wiper unit... and altenator method sound the potentially least problematic if it works and prevents me from having to buy any new gaskets. or is taking the exhaust loose really the simplest easy way to do this?

Help is appreciated.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:57 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
If the power steering pump is leaking, the best I have done them is to remove the drive axle and the pump will come out.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:08 AM
homerlasvegas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mastertech. I don't understand dropping the drive axle. Is that not significant work? It seems very involved. . wouldn't the exhaust be quicker? or is there enought room to take it out the top? I saw on a 2005 that they are suggesting taking it out the top with the wiper unite removed. I've done that and feel comfortable with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Significant Power Steering Fluid Leak