3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How good is the 4.7L V8? How to improve HP/MPG?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:42 PM
HighlanderNorth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How good is the 4.7L V8? How to improve HP/MPG?

I bought a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 new in 2005. It is a standard cab, and was bought as a work truck. I now have 70,000 miles on it. I have not had any problems to speak of other than a sensor going bad 4 years ago, but the truck didnt break down or anything, and it was fixed for free. But it gets friggin' TERRIBLE gas mileage! I get an average of 10mpg. I've known people with cars and trucks with twice the horsepower and almost twice the engine size who got better gas mileage than me! I had a friend in 1986 who owned an LS-6 SS-454 Chevelle who got better gas mileage than 10 mpg. I really dont get it........ But the engine seems to run good, although the check engine light comes on and off every now and then, but I have not checked to see what it is, because it goes back off fairly quickly, so if something was REALLY wrong, I'd assume that it would stay on....... Anyway, how tough an engine is the 4.7, and how can I get better gas mileage, other than the obvious like tire pressure? Do the tuners help very much with power and/or gas mileage? Does anyone ever hot rod a 4.7L? How long do the 4.7's last if taken care of? Also, I read that in 2008, the 4.7 changed a lot, is that true, and how? Thanks in advance.......

Old 07-28-2011, 05:28 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to DF. First, before anything else, please read this.

I will move this to the 3rd gen section (2002-2008 Rams).

I will leave the rest of the questions to the 3rd gen guys, but I know they changed the 4.7 in 2007 or 2008. They got about seventy more HP out of it, went to two spark plugs per cylinder, and a few other things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How good is the 4.7L V8? How to improve HP/MPG?