1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P0340/P1391 2001 Dodge Durango

Old 06-16-2011, 01:29 AM
jyoyo78
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0340/P1391 2001 Dodge Durango

So glad I found these forums, I'm hoping one of you experts can help me out. I have a 2001 Dodge Durango 4x4 5.9L. I may be giving far too much information here, but just want to get it all out there in case it matters.

I've been having stalling/shuttering/hesitation issues for about nine months now. In the last couple of months it's gotten really bad...so obviously it's time to take care of it now!

I never had any engine codes until 3 months ago, engine light went on, took it in and it needed a new PCM. Had that replaced, at the same time had the TPS replaced, thinking that could be part of the problem.

Replacing the PCM at least made the engine light go off...but was still having the stalling/shuttering stuff happening. I notice it at all times....hot or cold, fast or slow, idling or driving on the freeway. Just does it whenever and wherever....but it's definitely getting worse than it used to be.

Today I was backing out of a parking space and it was doing the shutter thing really bad like it was going to stall, then the engine light came on. Took it to O'Reilly's and hooked it up to their scan tool. Got the P0340 (Camshaft Position Sensor A) and P1391 (Intermittent loss of camshaft pulse or crankshaft pulse) codes. So, I'm assuming I need to replace the Camshaft Position Sensor and/or the Crankshaft sensor. When I told the parts guy that mine was a 5.9L I was told there isn't a Camshaft Position Sensor for it...just a crankshaft sensor. So, does this mean I only need to replace the Crankshaft Sensor? Ugh...I'm so confused.

I tried figuring it out by looking at the Chilton's book...but I really wanted to ask someone who deals with this sort of thing. I'm just a desk jockey who wants her car to run right again.

PS....I've also read some posts about this sort of thing coming from a bad battery or connectors. I noticed my connectors aren't all that clean...a little corroded looking...does that mean I should replace my battery? Or just have the connectors cleaned?

Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 AM
samnbensdad
Captain

Welcome to DF. You'll find that this is a great site with some very knowledgable members.

Since the 5.9L has a true distributor system it doesn't have an actual camshaft position sensor. It actually uses an "Ignition Pickup" located on the distributor (someone will correct me if I'm interpreting this wrong). That's why the guy at the parts store couldn't find it. I'm certain they carry it, Auto Zone does. Nonetheless, this is directly from the service manual:

The camshaft position sensor is located in the distributor

on all 5.2/5.9L V-8 engines (Fig. 6).
Distributor removal is not necessary to remove
camshaft position sensor.
(1) Remove air cleaner assembly.
(2) Disconnect negative cable from battery.
(3) Remove distributor cap from distributor (two
screws).
(4) Disconnect camshaft position sensor wiring
harness from main engine wiring harness.
(5) Remove distributor rotor from distributor shaft.
(6) Lift the camshaft position sensor assembly
from the distributor housing.
I would probably replace both sensors if you can afford to. If not, start with the crankcase position sensor. They are about the same price (~$45 each).

Also, the average battery life for Durangos is about 4 years. If your battery is older than that, it may give you problems like a rough idle and stalling at low RPMs, even though it may have enough juice to start the truck. Regarding the corrosion, you should definitely clean the posts and cables. However, it doesn't necessarily mean your battery is bad.

When was the last time you had a thorough tune up? If it's been a while, you should change out the spark plugs (champion copper gapped at 0.040), cap and rotor (brass contacts), and clean the throttle body. There are tons of posts on here about preferences and techniques. Check out the FAQ section for help with these items. There is a lot of great info there.

There are several very active members on this forum, so you should get more advice soon.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 AM
jyoyo78

@samnbensdad - Thank you very much for the info. I read the same thing in the repair manual, about the camshaft position sensor. That's why I was confused when the parts guy said he couldn't find one for a 5.9L. I guess if it's called something else, then that would be why. I had planned on replacing both since they're fairly inexpensive.

I've only had this vehicle for a year, so I'm not sure when the last tune up was done. Definitely can't hurt to do one though. That will be my next endeavor.

Thanks again!!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:51 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

+1 samnbensdad nailed it i too would replace both,

when you do the tune up make sure to use champion copper core plugs gapped to .040, new cap and rotor w/ brass contacts and new wire 8.5mm or better brand name wires

Old 07-27-2011, 03:51 PM
jyoyo78

Back again with more questions. DH was going to replace the crankshaft position sensor. Once he found it he said it looked brand new. So we decided to look through the paperwork that came with the vehicle when we purchased it. Lo and behold I saw notes on a mechanics receipt stating that customer had replaced the crankshaft position sensor. The receipt was from Feb. 2010. So at the newest...the sensor would be a year and a half old. How long does one of those sensors last? Is it possible that it could have gone bad already?
We went ahead and replaced the ignition pickup...but that did not fix the problem. Ugh!
Suggestions???

Old 07-27-2011, 08:32 PM
samnbensdad
Captain

Unfortunately, sensors can go bad at any time. Sometimes you can get a bad one out of the box. Did you ever change out the battery?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:28 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

no real expected lifespan on the sensors, they can act up out of nowhere and for no reason at all, or just to make your life difficult (sounds a lot like a woman now that i type it all out . . . )

Old 07-28-2011, 12:24 PM
jyoyo78

I have not changed the battery. When I asked my DH about cleaning the battery posts, he was like "oh, it's no big deal". It's hard for me to get DH to spend money on my rig, because he hates that I even have it . He's a Chevy guy and would prefer that I just sell the Dodge. But, I can't sell it if it isn't running properly.

When he was looking at the crankshaft sensor, he made it sound close to impossible to be able to get it out and replace it. So, I'm guessing I'll have to take it somewhere to have it done.

If the battery is going bad...would it be throwing the cmp/ckp code? Is it hard to clean the posts on my battery? Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm tired of trying to get DH to do anything on this vehicle. So, if there's anything I can just do myself, then I will.

Thanks again for all the info and help you've provided!!!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:38 PM
topdogcustoms
Captain

get a can of coke and pour it on the terminals it will eat the acid off

Old 07-28-2011, 03:53 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

you can buy a brush kit for cleaining battery terminals at your local auto parts store pretty cheaply, i wouldnt pour coke on the battery it will make a sticky mess in the engine bay.

also a bad battery in these trucks has been known to cause all sorts of problems but i would replace the sensor first (also dont give up on this truck if you like it, its a good truck and should last you a long time if you take care of it)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0340/P1391 2001 Dodge Durango