3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How do I check for play in ball joints.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:34 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do I check for play in ball joints.

I was advised that i need upper and lower ball joints, left side, term used was minor play, also the ouuter tie rod needs to be repalced, how do I check that my self, My Ram is a 2500 06, I have noticed a bit of play in the stearing, but nothing I consider ad normal for a five year old truck, and, why replace only one side upper and lower ball joints, why not do booth the left and right side?

Im at 110,000 Km and axle seals on booth right and left rear are starting to weap, I don't want to sink more $$$ into my truck, as thier will be brake work, possible clutch repair, replacement.

90% of trucks use has been highway

Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You can visually check the ball joint boots for tears. If they are torn then it is time to replace them. You can also lift the tire off the ground and pull the tire up and down to check the ball joints or left to right to check the wheel bearings.

It would benefit you at this point to take the time to click on the links in my signature and download the service manual for your truck as all that and a lot more info is in there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do I check for play in ball joints.