4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PROBLEMS.. 2011 dodge 1500 sport 4x4 leveling problem..

Old 04-05-2011, 12:13 AM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my leveling kit on for 3 weeks now (daystar 2.5) and I haven't really noticed anything to be afraid of. I even went off roading the day after installing it myself and spent the whole time in 4hi/4low without any issue's. The only thing I'll say about it but I'm not sure if it's from the leveling kit or the wheels and tires since I did them a few days apart, is that I can feel more vibrations from the drive train rotating through the gas pedal. But it's such a minor thing and not causing any damage that I'll live with it.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:55 AM
pdavis53
All Star

First, forgive me if this was covered recently and I didn't see it, my activity on this site hasn't been what it used to be because I moved and I don't seem to have a lot of free time anymore. Anyway have they come up with a driveshaft lower kit, like a spacer, for these trucks yet? I wonder if this would correct the driveshaft wobble. I had a Toyota a few years ago that I lifted and they had this spacer I was talking about to correct the angle. It seemed to work very well. Also I have been a big promoter of leveling kit's because I had, had no issues. Well the other day we got about 6 inches of wet slippery snow so I turned on the 4wd drive and I got the vibration for the first time after 17,000 miles of running the Mopar leveling kit. It is the end of the season and my tires are still new so I am going to leave the kit in for now but it is something I am going to check out before next snow season. I cannot be without my 4W drive so I am hoping to find a fix this summer.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:44 PM
InterpunX
Captain

Commando57 said it right

It's because the Angle of the CV joints is too high. When you put a leveling kit it's basically a spacer that stretches out everything, so now you truck is 2.5" jacked as compared to a lift kit where everything drive wise and suspension wise stays stock, but all brackets and suspension mounts are extended 6".

I had a bad wobble before when i installed a Ready lift 2.5" kit, worst waste of money ever for 4 little pieces of steel. IMO

I took it off and got a 6" lift put in and everything was smooth again.

If you want to make it stop you basically leave it out of 4x4, but why have 4x4 when you can't use it. I couldnt live with it.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:24 AM
WaySlowWhitey
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a 2 inch Daystar leveling kit on my '01 Offroadster with no wobble issues. When I bought my '11 sport I had concerns with wobble but just had a 2" Fr/1" Rr Truxx leveling kit installed and feel no issues. Put ;the truck in 4 auto going down a dirt road at 40 and couldn't tell the different. Truck looks great and no wobble.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:31 PM
InterpunX
Captain

Originally Posted by WaySlowWhitey
Had a 2 inch Daystar leveling kit on my '01 Offroadster with no wobble issues. When I bought my '11 sport I had concerns with wobble but just had a 2" Fr/1" Rr Truxx leveling kit installed and feel no issues. Put ;the truck in 4 auto going down a dirt road at 40 and couldn't tell the different. Truck looks great and no wobble.
If you were in 4 auto your 4x4 was probably not on unless you start spinning. Next time try 4x4 on and give it gas down a dirt road and you might feel something. But since it's a 2" it might not be too bad. I don't know maybe 2" in the front is about the max you would go for not having wobble issue.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:09 AM
WaySlowWhitey
Rookie

Thanks Interpunx ... hadn't thought of that. I've give 4High a spin this weekend and see how it goes.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:59 PM
zman9788

I had the mopar 2" Leveling kit put on my 2010 Ram 4x4 and it too got a slight vibration/wobble when accelerating on pavement in 4x4. It did not do it before the kit, but did it after. I spoke with the two guys that answer phones at Mopar several times and they finally passed me off to a guy they knew at a local Dodge dealer by me. The tech looked into it and found nothing wrong. They actually printed me off some bulletin from their online service network that said "launch shudder/vibration while in 4x4 is normal and no repairs are necessary."

A couple weeks later I noticed that my right front axle shaft seal was leaking. Don't believe it was related to the kit, but either way the Dodge dealer covered it under warranty. I'm gonna keep it on because obviously it did not void warranty and the slight vibration I can deal with. Looks better than it did stock.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:35 PM
VIS2k
Amateur

Well I took my truck back to the shop that installed the Daystar levelling kit. Daystar says it does happen with some trucks and not others. They are pulling the kit back out and putting the alignment back to stock. Based on my experience and what I've read, I would not recommend the Daystar kit as it seems to be a crap shoot if you're going to have a problem or not. At least the shop I took my truck to (West Shore Spring and 4x4 in Victoria BC) were very nice about it, are making everything right and refunding my money. Great guys who do some awesome work.

Mike

Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by VIS2k
I recently had the Daystar 2.5" level / lift kit installed and now have the 4x4 wobble problem. The kit was installed by a well established spring & 4x4 shop and an alignment was performed.

I've sent an email to Daystar tech support and am waiting for follow up from them.

Mike

In my circles, almost all "well established" 4x4 shops won't touch a 2.5" level on a coil over IFS truck. Too many liabilities... 2" is the max...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PROBLEMS.. 2011 dodge 1500 sport 4x4 leveling problem..