2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:31 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

Cheap Paint JoB!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 11:44 AM
mike1993
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Paint JoB!!!!!!

my truck is white. i seen this truck at a tattoo shop that other day and it had like a flat black type panit on it. almost like an engine spray paint.or some other type or spray. dont get me wrong though, it look very clean. sp clean i wanted to do it to my truck!!! same with the rims. What would you use to do something like this.??

Old 01-25-2011, 12:39 PM
zanethan
Veteran

It's actually not a cheap paint job at all. If you looking to do it yourself you're looking at about $1500 to do it right. And if your looking at a shop doing it I wouldn't be surprised if the total came out to about $5000 or more. Basically you use a one stage paint and add flattener to it which removes the shine as it dries. I did it a few years a go and there is a write up in the DIY section I think. A lot of time and work goes into painting cars and making sure they look good but it is definitely doable my truck is proof.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker

There actually is such thing as a "poor man's paint job." There is a guy who used a very fine foam roll brush and a few quarts of rustoleum to paint his car. It takes a lot of sanding to perfection. He even included pictures of the car after 4 years or so after he painted it. There was another guy who thinned it and sprayed it. I actually decided to do that to re-paint my roof. For added protection, I sprayed clear coat on top of that as well. It was basically either do that, or let the original clear coat keep peeling and cause more problems.

Old 01-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Motorbreath
Rookie

I painted my old toyota 4x4 for less than 500 bucks. If you shop around, you can find good paint for cheap. NAPA's prices aren't too bad, I've used some of their stuff before. I got my primer and base coat on Ebay, then I think I picked up my clear and hardner from NAPA. You can spend 1k plus on a custom paint job, but you don't have to, do some research you can find some good info online. Some 1200 grit sand paper and some water makes even a crappy paint job look good, trust me, I used to detail cars at a cheap car dealership, we had to fix almost every paint job that came back from the body shop.

Old 01-25-2011, 04:24 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

You want cheap? Go to Maaco and you can get a paint job for $300.00..

Old 01-25-2011, 04:47 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It depends how you want it to look I did my old power ram in tractor implement paint it was gray and I just thinned it out a little and it actually looked pretty good when I sprayed it on.

thebeast2.jpg

thebeast.jpg

My buddy painted his woods beater with the same but it was yellow and he rolled it on if we would took our time it would of came out fine
downsized950621001911.jpg

Then for my cj5 I went to a surplus store they had sherwin williams paint I got hardner,reducer,paint,primer and clear for 325. It came out light but I guess its what I get for not doing it myself.

IMG_0464.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Motorbreath
Rookie

that jeep turned out nice man...

Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorbreath
that jeep turned out nice man...
Thanks but its getting repainted a diff color, right now in the sun its like john deere green lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap Paint JoB!!!!!!