1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Help! Blower Motor Not Working

Old 01-22-2011, 08:10 AM
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Blower Motor Not Working

I got in my truck last night and the blower motor was fine, then about 15 minutes into my trip the motor died. I could feel heat coming out of the vents, but it wasn't blowing at all.

I need to know if this is the switch, the motor, or a fuse. It's freaking zero degrees where I live and I need to fix it before the wife has a fit. I can at least run the rear heat to keep the truck semi warm.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Pull the fuse in the dash panel and check it.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:32 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Likely just resistor failure. Replace. 15 minute job.

IndyD

Old 01-22-2011, 01:38 PM
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
Amateur

I'm gonna sound like a total moron, but where is the fuse panel in the dash? I took a quick look under the dash this morning and didn't see it (I was actually late for work) Is it not in the drivers side foot well?

I don't have an owners manual or I would just look at that. One never came with it when I bought it.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:52 PM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Open driver side door, on the SIDE of the dash unseen when the door is closed, THERE is the fuse box. There is a triangular door you pull open/off.

HTH,

IndyD

Old 01-22-2011, 02:10 PM
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
Amateur

Duh, now I remember where it is, I have too many vehicles to keep track of lol.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
Amateur

Ok, I pulled the panel and looked at the fuses. None of them are labeled as blower motor or anything of the sort. There is just one for the front heat/AC and rear heat/AC.

Is there another panel somewhere or fuse solely for the heater motor?

Old 01-23-2011, 03:13 PM
needmoremoney

hate to be the bearer of bad news.......my '98 did the same thing. everybody told me the speed control resistor. i knew otherwise-that resistor allows the blower motor to blow at high speed only when it goes bad.
so squeezed myself under dash & inside wiper cowl(between hood & windshield) & my VOM told me voltage getting to blower motor & resistor was good. i asked here, got link to 'how to replace blower motor' and YIKES! book repair TIME IS 10+ HOURS!!!!! you practically remove & replace the entire dashboard of the truck!
so i wheeled & dealed with my mechanic who does what i can't/don't want to do. what i found is:remove everything including front passenger seat, entire dash including airbag & everything underneath the dash. THEN you remove the climate control box.....and all the little connections, lines, etc. THEN you eventually get to the blower motor. which needless to say, BURNED OUT. about 30 bucks! also, while in there, remove coolant from AC system & replace evaporator & ANYTHING ELSE that may need replacement before you dispose of your durango 'cause you DON'T wanna go through this again!
power washed the box which had some deformity in the blower housing and lots of mulch(readld leaves) PLUS the remains of at least 1 rodent-just his bones. was going to get a new box, but none in junkyards here, dealer was a 2 week wait AND price was exhorbitant (don't remember, but it was HIGH.) so put in NEW blower motor (no rebuilds here), replaced evap & a few minor items he recommended, replaced everything, dired it up & good to go!!! on the negative side, it sounds like a leaf caught in the blower, but we did everything we could & it's because of the deformities to the box/housing. it spins free & true, isn't touching anything, there's no drag/excessive current draw due to drag, so i said a few hail maries & let it go. charged up the AC & things work fine(knocking on wood/head).
actually required 3 days, 1 to disassemble, 1 to diagnose, replace & gather parts & 1 to reassemble. total hit to my wallet? $1200. had asked dodge before i got his estimate. dodge's estimate? DOUBLE!!! yup, $2500 for all recommended replacement parts.
yes, it blew hot air just fine at 60mph, even with temp in teens. that was november. no way was i gonna not fix it. it was 5 degrees last nite, 22 today, below zero tonite ando only in the teens tomorrow. probably could have gotten away with not doing it-IF i drove at 60mph all the time. but that wasn't happening.
good luck!

Old 01-23-2011, 04:33 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It looks like it's fuse #12 but I am unsure.

Look at the back of your cover and it should have a sticker on it telling you what they are like this out of my 1998 Durango:

Name:  100_2878.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  127.9 KB

Or the PDC under the hood. Disregard the red circles I have in this picture, this is only for reference purposes.

Name:  AltFuse.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  94.5 KB

Last edited by hydrashocker; 01-23-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:09 PM
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
Amateur

Yeah my cover looks different. By '03 they had it molded in the cover. I'll have to check the block under the hood.

I also had it on this morning, and I could feel the motor running but very slow, kind of like it's on the lowest setting.

This is aggravating.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! Blower Motor Not Working