1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Vehicle Theft Security System won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:34 PM
White Buffalo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vehicle Theft Security System won't turn off

I have a 1998 Durango SLT with a 5.9. Quite a while back the key fob quit working (no not the battery) but no big deal I just used the key. When you use the power locks to lock the vehicle when leaving it arms the security system and when you use the key to unlock your door it is supposed to disarm the security system. My problem is the key will not disarm the security system and the lights blink and horn beeps and the vehicle won't start as a result. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:30 PM
WhiteWidow00
Record Breaker

The key does no disarm the system. Only the fob will disarm the system. If you don't want the system armed, simply lock the doors manually.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:52 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

yea what whitewidow said, to my knowledge (im not perfect) the only way to disarm the alarm is to use the remote,

when your remote stopped working, did you notice any other (probably seem unrelated) electrical problems crop up???

Old 01-06-2011, 07:03 PM
White Buffalo

The key does disarm the security system, I have been doing it for months. If I unlock the door (after using the power locks to lock the vehicle) from an open window by pulling up the lock manually the alarm would go off after opening the door and I would have to use the key to turn it off. I have not noticed any other electrical problems. I tried disconnecting the battery today hoping it would reset somehow but that did not work

Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can dis-arm the OEM security system by using the main key in the drivers door.

You might need to reset the OEM alarm: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...going-off.html

Old 01-07-2011, 05:19 PM
White Buffalo

Unfortunately the reset procedure did not work. When this problem started my driver door was frozen and I had to use a lighter on the key to unfreeze the "key hole" to unlock the door. I am going to get the vehicle into the garage and warm it up hoping something is frozen (yea, fat chance) and try again.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 AM
White Buffalo

I finally broke down and took the truck to the dealer . It turned out to be a wiring problem with the security system. "Only" cost me 300 bucks (not bad considering I was thinking worse) and am on the road again. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:28 AM
1971superbee
Default Security system issues

I just went through this issue using hydrashcker's link below. I tried it a couple of times before including locking the hatch with the key. The system reset when I included that step.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:43 PM
tank99Dango
Professional

It just happened to me couple days ago. I unplugged the battery, waited 10 minutes or so, locked all the doors, connected battery, and unlocked the drivers door with the key...it beeped 3 times, and it started...

Old 12-03-2012, 07:11 PM
amberfrank

Had the same problem! just unlock the hatch the alarm turned ofc and it started right up!

Quick Reply: Vehicle Theft Security System won't turn off