3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Instrument cluster not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:17 AM
jonathanjkb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster not working

Along with brake lights, door locks, and keyless entry. everything else works fine. I went thru all the relays and fuses and found nothing so i took it to Dodge. They are saying that the cluster is bad and it also controls the brake lights, door locks, etc? Does that make sense? I have another cluster that i am going to put in and see if that works since Dodge wants $900 for a new cluster. Any ideas from the pros?
Also, if the new cluster works, are there any recommendations for a company that can program the new cluster with the mileage?

Thanks

Old 12-30-2010, 11:43 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a cluster check. Push and hold the trip button down while you insert your key in the ignition and turn to run(not start) position and then let go of the button. The guages should sweep and the lights should illumintae. IF nothing happens or anything fails to work, then it's your cluster. If everything works as it should, then it's not your cluster, but chances are..it's your cluster.
I replaced my cluster in my 2008. Was $321 w/tax so $900 is way out in left field. Book time is .7hrs to exchange a cluster. That's less than 1hr.
A different cluster isn't going to work the same. They are vin locked and will only have options to the vin number it locked itself to including mileage.
You need to buy a cluster from the dealer and they need to verify your mileage at the time of purchase. OInce the new cluster comes in you can swap them out yourselfs with NO dealer help and then return your old cluster back for the core charge. The dealer cannot even change the mileage. Must be a 3rd party that rebuilds the clusters.
You cannot have your mileage entered into any used cluster. There are specific laws that prevent that from happening. Only way is to buy a new cluster.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:14 PM
dp1500sport
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No instrument cluster, no power locks, no turn signal etc

I have a 2002 1500 sport. I noticed the following a few days ago: When I turned the key on, the red alarm light comes on, but no instrument cluster, no power locks, no turn signals, no brake lights & no interior lights. The headlights and taillights stay on (even with the switch in the off position) I had to let the truck sit for a couple days and the battery was dead on Friday morning. I pulled the battery out and charged it overnight. Now, the truck starts & runs fine, and still the same problem. The power windows work, but none of the above. I've checked all the fuses, and none are blown. I've tried the cluster test - but nothing happens. I just started to check the voltages at the fuse box, the first two readings were right at 8 volts, however the headlights and tail lights stay on and after just a few minutes the voltage drops down to 1-2. I've tried searching the forums and this thread seems to be the closest to my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Vadie380 (08-15-2023)
Old 02-01-2011, 12:20 PM
jonathanjkb

I took my truck into Dodge and found that it was in fact the cluster. I tried a cluster from another truck and everything worked except the keyless entry. So now i either have to buy a new one or get the old one fixed.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:22 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Question - when you swapped IC from another truck, Im assuming you unplugged the old and plugged in the new right? Obviously the mileage was mismatched but did you get any CEL or DTC codes or anything else funky?

Old 02-02-2011, 10:43 AM
dp1500sport
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote Keyless Entry Module

When you did the cluster swap, did you swap the RKE module as well? Its my understanding that it's a separate module a little smaller than a cigarette pack that snaps onto the back of the ic. If you have your old ic you might check and see if that works for you. I just purchased a used ic off ebay the miles are within 10k of mine. After it arrives I'll try swapping them both out -the rke module and the cluster, and let you know how it goes. Of course this happes right in the middle of the biggest winter storm to hit my area in years...

The following users liked this post:
Cali Forreider (05-09-2021)
Old 08-21-2017, 12:19 AM
Lacy Banta
Default Where you able to figure out the problem?

Originally Posted by dp1500sport
I have a 2002 1500 sport. I noticed the following a few days ago: When I turned the key on, the red alarm light comes on, but no instrument cluster, no power locks, no turn signals, no brake lights & no interior lights. The headlights and taillights stay on (even with the switch in the off position) I had to let the truck sit for a couple days and the battery was dead on Friday morning. I pulled the battery out and charged it overnight. Now, the truck starts & runs fine, and still the same problem. The power windows work, but none of the above. I've checked all the fuses, and none are blown. I've tried the cluster test - but nothing happens. I just started to check the voltages at the fuse box, the first two readings were right at 8 volts, however the headlights and tail lights stay on and after just a few minutes the voltage drops down to 1-2. I've tried searching the forums and this thread seems to be the closest to my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We just had this happen to our 2002 dodge ram 1500. Was wondering if you figured out the problem. Thanks.

Old 01-03-2020, 08:35 PM
6inarowking

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Do a cluster check. Push and hold the trip button down while you insert your key in the ignition and turn to run(not start) position and then let go of the button. The guages should sweep and the lights should illumintae. IF nothing happens or anything fails to work, then it's your cluster. If everything works as it should, then it's not your cluster, but chances are..it's your cluster.
I replaced my cluster in my 2008. Was $321 w/tax so $900 is way out in left field. Book time is .7hrs to exchange a cluster. That's less than 1hr.
A different cluster isn't going to work the same. They are vin locked and will only have options to the vin number it locked itself to including mileage.
You need to buy a cluster from the dealer and they need to verify your mileage at the time of purchase. OInce the new cluster comes in you can swap them out yourselfs with NO dealer help and then return your old cluster back for the core charge. The dealer cannot even change the mileage. Must be a 3rd party that rebuilds the clusters.
You cannot have your mileage entered into any used cluster. There are specific laws that prevent that from happening. Only way is to buy a new cluster.

This is incorrect information. The actual vehicle mileage is stored in a chip on the back of the cluster and must be transferred to the used cluster as well as programming(Dodge in particular( other manufacturers can be different)). It is NOT VIN locked. That said, the cluster being put into the vehicle must match the options of your vehicle i.e. Keyless with automatic transmission must be replaced with keyless entry with automatic transmission.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:15 PM
juan.81
Default Same Issue

Originally Posted by dp1500sport
I have the exact same issue and have gone through buying so many parts and no mechanic has been able to tell me what might be the issue. Please let me know if you found a solution.

Old 06-18-2020, 02:31 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by juan.81
I have the exact same issue and have gone through buying so many parts and no mechanic has been able to tell me what might be the issue. Please let me know if you found a solution.
Post #4 might be the solution. It could also be the Anti-Theft sytem in your vehicle...

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster not working