2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Shift Problems!!!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 AM
konspiracy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garam
Mine has been doing the same thing in regards to the RPMs and shifting. I cleaned out the throttle body and IAC which helped it to a point. It went to doing it all the time to only doing it after getting down on the throttle for a bit. It got worse again. After I would get off the interstate it wouldn't shift until it reach a high RPM like yours. About three months ago I tried replacing the IAC. The only difference it made was instead of, for example, 3000 or 4000 RPMs it then shifted at about 500 RPMs sooner. In addition to this it would sometimes down shift and make clunk like sound. Also for sometime I thought I had a skip in the motor which became more pronounced and now feels like shutter or hesitation.
Any ways it's in the shop now and the mechanic is suppose to be done with it tomorrow (10/18). He hooked it up to a scanner and drove it with me in it. He experienced everything I have been experiencing and the scanner was indicating the governor pressure solenoid was only putting out 0 - 1. I talked to him today and he said he's replacing the torque converter to be on the safe side because it apparently over heated or something.
Replace your transmission solenoid. My truck was doing the exact same thing until I replaced it.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:41 PM
ram 1500 5.9

Originally Posted by garam
Mine has been doing the same thing in regards to the RPMs and shifting. I cleaned out the throttle body and IAC which helped it to a point. It went to doing it all the time to only doing it after getting down on the throttle for a bit. It got worse again. After I would get off the interstate it wouldn't shift until it reach a high RPM like yours. About three months ago I tried replacing the IAC. The only difference it made was instead of, for example, 3000 or 4000 RPMs it then shifted at about 500 RPMs sooner. In addition to this it would sometimes down shift and make clunk like sound. Also for sometime I thought I had a skip in the motor which became more pronounced and now feels like shutter or hesitation.
Any ways it's in the shop now and the mechanic is suppose to be done with it tomorrow (10/18). He hooked it up to a scanner and drove it with me in it. He experienced everything I have been experiencing and the scanner was indicating the governor pressure solenoid was only putting out 0 - 1. I talked to him today and he said he's replacing the torque converter to be on the safe side because it apparently over heated or something.
How much did it cost for you to get the governor pressure sensor and solenoid replace? Mine has gotten better but it still is having problems. When its cold outside and i start it put it in reverse and try to take off it is like it is in neutral for a sec then it pops into gear same thing forward but only in the mornings when it is cold out. it also has trouble going from 1st gear to second gear, when it gets about 2,100 rpms in first i put it in neutral and put it back in drive and it goes right to second and every gear works just fine its just that first gear now. It also is throwing a code p 1756 which is the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. Ive read some symptoms of it and mine is having those symptoms of not shifting 1st gear to 2nd gear and putting it in neutral at 2,100 rpms and it shifts. This transmission is a rebuild and is under warranty but i don't have the time to take it out and drive it back up to the guy who i got it from and swapping it for another. And he is saying it is something else. I think i'm gonna make him put another sensor and solenoid in it along with the Valvoline atf+4 tyranny fluid i put in it. sense it is kind of his fault.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:33 PM
garam
Professional

Originally Posted by konspiracy
Replace your transmission solenoid. My truck was doing the exact same thing until I replaced it.
I talked to the guy that worked on it yesterday. Apparently he didn't replace the solenoid and told me to bring it back Tuesday to replace it.

So far I spent $750 on the transmission job.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 PM
96redrumram
Default ive had shifting issues

i have a question...i have the same truck but a 5speed transmission and its hard to get into reverse so i wanted to change the oil...ive been told to use atf+4 in it..is that right?

Old 11-03-2012, 12:09 PM
garam
Professional

The mechanic never showed on Tuesday and when I did talk to him he said he forgot but had been in court all day and told me to bring it back Friday in the AM. Guy comes in over an hour late and said he HAS to get a couple of other jobs done and wanted me to come back at 12 -12:30.
When I got back they didn't start on it until about 2PM. What was suppose to be a "one hour" job was over two hours and the guy doing the work didn't plug the solenoid in. The truck would not shift out of first gear so I turned around and took it back. They took the pan off and plugged it in. Everything appeared fin at first until I passed a car and it again wouldn't shift until it got to high rpms. On my way home last night I began hearing some other noises I haven't heard before. So far it's running worse than before I had it "fixed."
So not only did I work a double Thursday night, drove home just long enough to get a shower and go back to town to WAIT ALL DAY, for something that was only suppose to take an hour to correct and am now worse off than I was before.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:18 PM
ram 1500 5.9

Damn to hell with that you should take it back and have them warranty it. I think im just gonna keep driving with the one i have in my truck now and just blow it up. And save up for a built racing transmission that's built by a pro it will be expensive but the hell with these ****ty stock transmissions mine is a brand new rebuild that i put in by myself and i don't wanna have to keep pulling and putting one it just for the mechanic to get the rebuild right.

Thanks for telling me about yours now i defiantly wont go that away hah. keep me info on what yours is doing if it gets better or what you do so i can get an idea.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:32 AM
twochance

I have a 99 b1500 5.9 I started having simelar problems and then it only started out in third. Replaced pcm and is shifting fine now the problem I have is sometimes it wont start I unplug the fuel pump relay and plug back in and it fires right up ????????????

Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 PM
97_ram1500
Rookie

Well im having similar problems as the first post. First third and fourth are fine but seco d has to go another grand or higher then i have to let off the gas just for it to shift
. So do i need to invest in a seal kit?

Old 11-21-2012, 06:38 PM
garam
Professional

Originally Posted by ram 1500 5.9
Damn to hell with that you should take it back and have them warranty it. I think im just gonna keep driving with the one i have in my truck now and just blow it up. And save up for a built racing transmission that's built by a pro it will be expensive but the hell with these ****ty stock transmissions mine is a brand new rebuild that i put in by myself and i don't wanna have to keep pulling and putting one it just for the mechanic to get the rebuild right.

Thanks for telling me about yours now i defiantly wont go that away hah. keep me info on what yours is doing if it gets better or what you do so i can get an idea.
The guy told me to bring it by yesterday (Tuesday) on my way to work and he would take me to work, fix it and drop it off at my job. No body was there went I stopped by! Seen him today and he again told me to bring it back Friday.
Anyways I all ready bought some transmission fluid (ATF+4) today, used a hand pump to pump out 4 1/2 quarts and replaced it with the new fluid. The new fluid seemed to help! I couldn't make the truck shift like it had been no matter what. The winding noise I was hearing in reverse decreased a lot but is still there. The winding noise in "drive" was only slightly better.

Last edited by garam; 11-22-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:12 PM
garam
Professional

Not better but worse! Broke down on me today going home.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Transmission Shift Problems!!!