1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Can't fill your gas tank gas pump keeps shutting off like it's full answer

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:04 PM
Durango Guardian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Can't fill your gas tank gas pump keeps shutting off like it's full answer

Does the gas pump keep shutting off like it's full but it's not.

Here's the answer that did it for me,

I found that the little plastic piece that's in the fill neck disconnected and fell into the top of the gas tank blocking the fuel from getting into the tank.The only way I could fill up was to go very slow at the pump and that was the worst when it was cold.

Here's the remedy disconnect the main rubber fill line into the gas tank and with a pair of needle nose pliers reach into the top of the tanks fill neck and pull out the plastic piece blocking the fuel from going into the tank.

I hope this helps.
Durango Guardian

Last edited by Durango Guardian; 08-26-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:20 PM
john1974
Amateur

Mine does the same thing but if I pull the gas handle out alittle it fills fine. Just has issue with the gas handle in all the way.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:54 PM
Durango03
Veteran

Originally Posted by john1974
Mine does the same thing but if I pull the gas handle out alittle it fills fine. Just has issue with the gas handle in all the way.
+1 Same here

Old 08-26-2010, 06:00 PM
NW Redneck
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john1974
+2 Some pumps are a little more finicky than others. Some you have to have the nozzle at just the right angle to fill properly.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a small rubber collar that connects the fill line on the tank to the outside fill entry. You can look up under the fender and see it. This collar is on a bind and you will most likely find that the collar has collapsed and is pinched. Simply loosen the clamps and twist the collar to get the pinch out of it and re-clamp.

Done!

Quick Reply: Can't fill your gas tank gas pump keeps shutting off like it's full answer