2nd Gen Intrepid 1998 through 2004 Intrepids

1999 dodge intrepid major alignment issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:32 AM
jagman85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 dodge intrepid major alignment issue

Hi I'm new to this site and my name is Brandon. The problem I have is my cars alignment is really off after i smacked a curb with my front left tire. I punctured the tire immediately which i got replaced with a new tire. The mechanic at the shop couldn't get the alignment even close to the tolerance because they said the struts are most likely bent. The top of my steering wheel right now is located around the 2 o'clock position where it used to be at 12 o'clock. What im wondering is what all NEEDS to be replaced so the alignment can actually get aligned again within tolerance? They gave me a quote for $800.00 after replacing all kinds of parts and labor. They were talking about replacing struts, coil springs, bushings, seals, etc. All i want to know is what is the minimum parts that have to be replaced to fix this vehicle? I want to spend the minimum amount on parts to save money. My front left camber reading is -2.2 degrees, caster reading is 2.3 which is in spec range and toe is at -2.31 degrees. The front right has the camber and caster within specs but the toe is -2.13 degrees. The camber and toe specs are supposed to be around zero degrees according to the inspection sheet. I don't want to spend $800.00 on a car with 140,000 miles on it and I can't really afford a new car. Thanks for reading.

Brandon

Old 07-30-2010, 11:33 PM
kurts2
Record Breaker

If you don't trust them, go elsewhere for another quote. As for the privecthey offered, if it fixes it, that sounds like a good price to me.

As for telling you exactly what you bent by giving your curent alignment specs is impossible without either being there or using a crystal ball!

Old 08-01-2010, 03:53 AM
jagman85

I think I will go for a 2nd opinion. Otherwise how fast will brand new tires wear out with a bad alignment?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:50 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

Again too many variables. How fast you drive, outside temp, how often you rotate them, tire pressure, tire type (soft vs hard rubber). The only sure thing is they will wear out o er time.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 PM
panama63

You have something bend, either the spindle or the strut or both. Either way, they will need to be replaced to be able to correct the alignment. If you replace one strut, you should replace both or you will most likely still have steering trouble. Only way to save money is used parts and replace the parts yourself and then have an alignment shop make the final adjustment. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1999 dodge intrepid major alignment issue