Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

I think I have a blown Head Gasket!

Old 05-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Produce Pete
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I have a blown Head Gasket!

I pretty sure I have a blown head gasket in my 1998 Stratus. It's a 2.5L V6 by the way.

What are the symptoms of a blown head gasket?

Let's assume that I do have a blown gasket, how much would is cost to get it replaced? A pure guess would be fine, I just want a ballpark.

Old 05-08-2010, 09:50 PM
ratsttam
Captain

coolant mixed into the oil, or oil in the coolant, is a dead giveaway. Your oil will have a "milky" appearance, or your coolant will have oil sludge floating on it.
Ballpark is 700-1000 for repair (was 800 on a 2001 Chevy Malibu last year.)

If ya don't mind me asking, what are the symptoms you are having to make you think you've got a blown head gasket?

Old 05-09-2010, 10:40 AM
Produce Pete

Well pretty much everything that you just said. It is also running very very hot, even though the car isn't telling me its hot. Also there is something overflowing from the tube that I think goes to the radiator. I took some pictures:

It looks to me like coolant with streaks of oil mixed in.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:09 PM
ratsttam
Captain

That certainly doesn't look any good. But from those pictures, it doesn't look like oil, it looks like rust! I would start with replacing the thermostat (might be stuck closed). Water pump might be gone, and a radiator flush is in order now matter what. Good luck, get it to a shop to further diagnose that one.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:23 PM
pixelpadre
Rookie
Default Ditto

My 2000 v6 looks the same. Now I am leaking from the back side of engine. Cant see the source though. Replaced cap, and upper hose. Lower hose looks good. No signs of leakage.

Dash indicates normal temps, but when I run low the check engine light comes on even though the dash says normal range.

I cant get the fan to come on. Fuse is good. Where is the sensor for the fan?

Where is the thermostat? Is it under the cap?

I think I am getting near the end. Even though this engine runs like a raped ape.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think I have a blown Head Gasket!