2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Catalitic converter removal: pro's vs.cons

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
bseeton1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalitic converter removal: pro's vs.cons

mines rattlin and starting to not idle properly at times,have been reading about removing it all together wanted to get some input as to why i should or shouldn't do this. Have been told you can really increase your mileage but want more input. 98 1500 4x4 360 auto 150k. flowmaster via previous owner. Also my air flow in the cab kick of temperarily when i get on it;vaccum issue of some sort i'm guessing

Old 04-06-2010, 10:46 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pros and cons of removing cat

Pro's- no more cat to deal with, saves money of replacing one, sounds better, less restriction in exhaust, motor breathes better

Cons- wont pass emissions, can throw a code(fixed by one of many methods), polutes the air

Old 04-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you don't have emissions testing there, I'd get rid of it. Mines gutted and I get code P0420 once every couple months or so, it'll go off by itself after a few days if I don't clear it first. And it does sound better

Old 04-06-2010, 11:14 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no backpressure at all. Need some backpressure.

Biggest con is putting it back in when getting the smog inspection (if you live in a smog area).

Is Orange County NY still a no-smog area? I remembered only NYMA areas were smog areas. But I heard NY state went California.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:14 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yea forgot to put that if it was me I would take it off, I dont have mine on and would never think of putting one on, unless I had too

Old 04-07-2010, 07:19 AM
niceandeasy
Professional

Well what is the best way to gut it and does some one have pics. and how you fix the code if it keeps poping up

Old 04-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, if you can get the pipe off behind the cat, you could use a long bar or something similiar and beat on the stuff til it breaks up enough to get out, I've done that in the past. Mine was gutted when I got it, whoever did it just cut the side open and did it that way then just welded it back up. Dunno what would be easier for ya....

And there was a DIY for the O2 sensor mod but I can't seem to find it.... Basically what it does in the end is move the sensor out of the direct flow of the exhaust, and this tricks it into thinkin the cat is still functioning properly.

edit: found it

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ving-cats.html

Last edited by Maxx_Magnum; 04-07-2010 at 07:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i cut the muffler out, and now i can see the honey comb. i keeping my CAT on while i hollow it. I can get a prybar down there and hammer it to break it all up. Then im just going to strt it and rev it to blow out all the honeycomb. I hope to do mine next week, but i need to get a muffler first

Old 04-07-2010, 09:04 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by Maxx_Magnum
Well, if you can get the pipe off behind the cat, you could use a long bar or something similiar and beat on the stuff til it breaks up enough to get out, I've done that in the past. Mine was gutted when I got it, whoever did it just cut the side open and did it that way then just welded it back up. Dunno what would be easier for ya....

And there was a DIY for the O2 sensor mod but I can't seem to find it.... Basically what it does in the end is move the sensor out of the direct flow of the exhaust, and this tricks it into thinkin the cat is still functioning properly.

edit: found it

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ving-cats.html
He did that on a 3rd gen. While the concept is the same, I was unable to use two of the non-foulers like in the diy. I came up with something slightly different.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-surprise.html

Old 04-07-2010, 11:03 AM
ICEMAN_CH
All Star

I just left my O2 sensors hanging with plastic caps on them. The caps melted but I never get the code.

Quick Reply: Catalitic converter removal: pro's vs.cons