3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:22 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Detailing and Cleaning
Print Wikipost

Front seat repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:20 PM
jmcclucky01
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front seat repair

I had read in another thread about fixing the drivers seat after the foam breaks down and you dont want to replace the foam, just to have the same thing happen again. My seat was noticably worse off then when I bought the truck four years ago and I could feel the metal frame.
The fix is really easy, and had I thought about it I would of took pictures, but its so easy you don't really need them.

First I went to Hobby Lobby and bought 1/2 yard of burlap, two pieces of foam 1 was 1"x14"x14" and 1 was 2"x14"x14", all together was about $9.50. Stopped at the auto parts store and bought the 3M super 77 super adhesive. about $5.50.

Removal of the seat cover was not bad.

1st. Needed to take the two nuts off the bottom of the seat near the front, loosing the seat from the seat frame believe it took 1/2" socket.

2nd. Once the nuts are off and seat is loose enough to be moved up and down, you will be able to unhook the front of the seat cover, I found this is the easiest way to start, the way the seat cover is attached to the frame is black plastic clip that slides on lip on the frame, just push it off the frame clip while pushing down on the front seat to give slack on the material.

3rd. The two sides are just as easy, you need to remove the recline handle which is just a phillips head screw (I dont have power seats but I imagine there isnt much more than this). Then you can push on the side reach up under the seat and pop the two clips loose.

4th. The seat cover will then pull back out of the way exposing the foam.

5th. Remove the foam core and examine, it usually tears on the left rear side, were a factory weld on the seat frame caused a point that cuts into the foam and allows the tear to begin. I hammered these down so i dont have to deal with them again after this.

6th. Were you find tears on the foam, I sprayed them with glue and pressed the foam together untill the foam was somewhat together. Then I cut little strips of burlap for individual tear sizes and glued the burlap strips over the seam of the tore foam.

7th. I cut strips burlap about 1" wide and about 5" long and glued the strips into the bottom side of the foam that sits against the metal seat frame.

8th. Next I cut out the burlap into two 14"x"14 squares and glued them to the bottom the foam peices.

9th. Once everything is dry, I put my foam squares on the seat (burlap facing the bottom the foam peices), then put the seat foam on top you should check the seat with just the one inch and then just the two inch foam to see how you like the feel, i personally liked it super cushy so i used both peices under the seat foam.

10th. Put the seat cover back on, you might want help if you use all three pieces, it comes in handy to have the wife push down on the front of the seat while you reattach the front clip by reaching it from the back seat, because the foam pushes the seat foam up it makes the cover fit tighter.

Final. With the seat foam enforced with burlap and the extra foam your seat will feel like a nicer ride and should last without paying the dealer a 100.00 ever few years for new foam.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Nice write-up, I saw one several months or maybe even a year ago designed to solve the same issue. There was alot more stuff in it, but he replaced pretty much the entire seat foam with new stuff.

edit: out of curiosity where you at in the fine state o' Kansas? lol

Old 02-13-2010, 09:28 PM
JoeHemi
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice write up! I elect this be placed in the FAQ section. Thanks for sharing

Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 PM
ScoPat65
Amateur

Great write up! I'm feeling metal on my seat as well so I will be buying the supplies next week. Thanks for sharing!!

Old 02-14-2010, 09:59 PM
jmcclucky01

from wichita but not for long looking foward to moving back to the boonies

Old 02-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Shiloh 24
Record Breaker

Check out my Kansas DF'ers post, we wanna have a Kansas meet with as many members as possible to go hang out and check out each others trucks.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:45 PM
Trigger
Professional

AWESOME write-up. I wonder if a fabric/craft store will have these items as well? I'll be heading there this weekend.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 PM
bigdog2005

Here is a post from another thread with pictures. I just did it on my truck and you can defintely tell a difference.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...he-cure-2.html

Quick Reply: Front seat repair