1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

hooking up trailer lights/electric brakes

Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 PM
BIG_98D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hooking up trailer lights/electric brakes

ok, got a question. just baught a utility trailer that has a 7 prong round plug. well, my 98 durango only has 4 wires, i am assuming they are for L & R turn signals, Brake lights and regular lights. how can i hook it up so the electric brakes will function properly on my utitlity trailer? an electrician friend of mine told me he can splice into the brake light wiring comming from my durango for the electric brakes so that every time current runs to the brake lights that same current will run to the electric brakes on the utility trailer and make them work. has anyone ever tried that? i also just got a 7 prong truck side plug for my durango but of course since there is only 4 wires i am thinking i need to return the plug.
next thing i am wondering is if i buy an adapter to go from 4 prong flat to 7 prong round plug truck side will that make my electric brakes work on the trailer??

thanks for the help

Old 02-03-2010, 11:13 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

keep the 7 pin round connector for the truck and you should be able to splice it in to work properly, ill see if i can dig up the wiring diagram for the trailer plug

Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by BIG_98D
next thing i am wondering is if i buy an adapter to go from 4 prong flat to 7 prong round plug truck side will that make my electric brakes work on the trailer??

thanks for the help
No. You'll have to wire for the brake controller. The easiest place is under the dash at the brake pedal. Tap into the micro switch there and then run that to your brake controller. You'll then need to run a line from the brake controller to the back of the Durango to the 7 pin plug. You'll have to run a 12 volt line to your brake controller too along with a ground wire I think.

One of the pins on the 7 pin plug is reverse lights so you don't have to use that one.

If you buy a 7 pin plug to mount on the back of your Durango, it will have a pin out in the instructions. Mine was a 4 pin and I changed it to a 7 when I got it.

Iirc, you have to add the line from the brake controller, 12 volt, and a ground. The rest is already there in the 4 pin.

Hope that helps.

Oh, I took the ash tray out of mine and mounted the Prodigy controller there. It looks great.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:50 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You have to do some rewiring for 3 more wires as gr is saying.

1. Brake wire
2. 12 volt accessory
3. Back up lights

What you have:

4. Right Turn
5. Left Turn
6. Tail Lights
7. Ground

In order to do this you will need to run more wires to the rear. Now you don't need 2, 3 but that's how the setup works.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 PM
BIG_98D

thanks guys!!!! i talked to my brother in law who is a mechanic and he pulls many differant types of trailers all the time. he showed me the box he installed under his dash just like the one mentioned here. $64 at walmart, gonna get one in the next couple days and get to work, then i can pull a nice heavy trailer with no worries about the brakes....THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 PM
gr8scott72
Veteran

Originally Posted by BIG_98D
thanks guys!!!! i talked to my brother in law who is a mechanic and he pulls many differant types of trailers all the time. he showed me the box he installed under his dash just like the one mentioned here. $64 at walmart, gonna get one in the next couple days and get to work, then i can pull a nice heavy trailer with no worries about the brakes....THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!
No no no no. Don't get a cheap passive brake controller. Shop around and get a proportional one.

The cheap ones you find at walmart can only send a preset amount of braking power to your trailer.

The proportional ones actually vary the amount sent to the trailer brakes based on how hard you are braking. Push the brake pedal harder, get more braking force from your vehicle AND trailer.

I recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy or the P3. The new model (P3) will run you about $120-$130. You can find the previous model for under $100 new and even cheaper than that if you find a used one. Since you are wiring it in yourself, you can get one with any harness on it.

I now have 2, one for each vehicle. I paid about $80 for the first one and just bought the second one a few months ago for $50 INCLUDING shipping and it looks even nicer than the other one I have. Got it on ebay.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a Prodigy and LOVE it! Mine ran me $120.

http://www.tekonsha.com/product/deta...90185&cat=1435

Old 02-27-2010, 12:23 PM
jerecri

When pulling a heavy trailer you shouldn't go cheap anything!!! You want the trailer brakes to work before if not at the same time as the truck brakes. If the trailers momentum slams into the truck, it may cause a jack knife. Don't go cheap my friends, it's not just your life at stake. Everyone around you would appreciate it if u spend the extra $20 on the right brake controller. I strongly recomend the prodigy also. Great inexpensive controller!!!

Old 02-28-2010, 01:59 AM
IndyDurango
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 jerecri

IndyD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hooking up trailer lights/electric brakes