4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Reset Average Fuel Mileage

Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
truckbimbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset Average Fuel Mileage

I just got a 2009 Dodge Ram, still trying to get accustomed to it. How do I reset the average fuel mileage? From the manual:

"Average Fuel Economy Shows the average fuel economy since the last reset. When the fuel economy is reset, the display will read “RESET” or show dashes for two seconds. Then, the history information will be erased, and the averaging will continue from the last fuel average reading before the reset."

"The fuel economy since the last reset" contradicts "the averaging will continue from the last fuel average reading before the reset." So which is it? Mileage since reset or mileage since ever turning a wheel?

And how does one reset it? In the EVIC display, I can get to the menu that says:

Reset
Fuel
Economy
»Yes
«No

Cant go up or down to select one of them so I hit the button on the wheel that points to the right and it goes somewhere else. Maddening.

Can someone help?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 PM
jayman84
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thats all you have to do...when you get to that screen with the right arrow for yes then push the right arrow and it will reset.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:38 PM
05Dakotaho
Record Breaker

Maddening...yep.

Best I kin figger is that after a reset, it uses the last average as a start point and begins averaging that instantaneous value along with current MPG average.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Huff360

Originally Posted by 05Dakotaho
...it uses the last average as a start point and begins averaging that instantaneous value along with current MPG average.
Yep, thats what it does. Doesn't make much sense if you ask me. You'd think it would start all over.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:29 AM
kevinc66
Professional

Originally Posted by Huff360
Yep, thats what it does. Doesn't make much sense if you ask me. You'd think it would start all over.
Thats what I thought as well, I did'nt even know we had the capabilty to reset that option. I will say this much, I reset my Ram this morning and I'm getting higher MPG around town

Old 01-12-2010, 11:40 AM
cmscat50

Though it starts with the value used before being reset it will change VERY quickly to reflect the new reading. It will change quickly at first if necessary and the longer you drive the slower it will change....for obvious reasons. It's an average not current.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:51 PM
StuartV
Professional

I've been wondering about this, too. It has been obvious to me that it starts with the previous reading (which is DUMB). But, the number has to be calculated from distance divided by fuel used. So, when it starts with the previous reading, what "distance" and/or time is it using as the basis for the calculation.

For example: If I'm parked when I reset it, then it should say 0 MPG until I start moving. (that's what all my Fords that I've had have done). Then, when I do start driving, whenever I've driven far enough to use 1 gallon of gas, it will show be showing the distance as my MPG.

The way the Dodge works, if I sit there and idle until I've burned 1 gallon of gas (obviously, I wouldn't really do that), it ought to read 0 the whole time. But what will it really read? If it starts off reading, say, 12, and I idled away 1 gallon, and it now read 6, that would tell me that it was starting the reading based on the previous 1 gallon usage. But, if it started as 12 (after a reset) and I idled away 1 gallon, and it now read 8, then I would know the reset set it to the MPG for the previous 2 gallons usage.

Like I said, the way it works seems dumb to me.

Last edited by StuartV; 01-12-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:37 PM
drought_buster
Rookie

I noticed the same issue and wondered what kind of MPG I was getting while in MDS mode. So It takes almost 10miles for teh MPG to level out. Here's my test if interested. The conclusion is when your in MDS mode and cruising around 45-50mph your getting 25mpg.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...xperiment.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reset Average Fuel Mileage