Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

Question about replacing tie rod ends. 2005 Grand Caravan

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 08:14 PM
MikHalifax
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about replacing tie rod ends. 2005 Grand Caravan

I have 2005 Grand Caravan with 84000 mi on it. It's the 3.8L. I had it in the shop the other day getting a new water pump. They mentioned that the tie rod ends on the passenger side, should be replaced.

The only reason I had it in the shop was I was 60 mi from home and my tools when I lost the pump. I generally like to work on my vehicles myself. However, I've never done tie rod ends and wonder how much of a job it is. My Haynes description doesn't sound too tough, but I'm just wondering if there are any surprises in store for me.

Thanks for any posts.

Mike

Old 09-14-2009, 10:41 PM
MartymanVR6
Rookie

outer tie rod,very easy,remove cutter pin,remove bolt,loosen the 22m,take a big hammer n knock on the knuckle hard where the tie rod goes it will pop out........

For inner tie rod its a lil harder.....(without special tool) but a good pair of water pump pliers or vise grip will do the job.....

Car must be re aligned after

Old 09-15-2009, 07:08 AM
MikHalifax

Thanks. I thought it would be pretty straightforward. I just don't feel the need to feed the chain shop my $$$. Will have to for the alignment but that's unavoidable.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:52 PM
2002ACRNEON
Rookie

Originally Posted by MikHalifax
Thanks. I thought it would be pretty straightforward. I just don't feel the need to feed the chain shop my $$$. Will have to for the alignment but that's unavoidable.
I changed an outer tire rod on my '98 Neon (136,000 miles). Same as above - BUT I'd double check it first. Grab the steering link between the rack and the outer ball joint. This piece should be "tight" without any free play. If you easily feel freeplay (motion), then it is worn.

Ball joints will be stiff to move when good, but easy when worn.

I've never replaced an inner yet.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:05 PM
shelbydaytona
Banned

if you are careful, you can put it back together and be so close on toe-in alignment you may not even need an alignment. i turn the nut on the tie rod shaft just like ½ turn then separate the tie rod from the knuckle. then unscrew the tierod. when i install the new tierod, i just tighten it to the old jamb nut and toe is pretty close to right on. then install rod stud into knuckle, tighten to spec then i snug the jamb nut to the tie rod. i made a tool to do a quick toe in check and can get toe within 1/16" which is pretty close

Quick Reply: Question about replacing tie rod ends. 2005 Grand Caravan