2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

check engine light question

Old 03-23-2005, 05:43 AM
KotaSport00
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine light question

hey guys I've got a 2000 Dakota sport with the 4.7 2wd. The other morning before work I started my truck then when I went back outside my check engine light was on? I have no idea what the heck it is the truck seems to be running fine. But I really would like to know if I could read the codes and how to do this. Thanks for any help!

Old 03-23-2005, 11:25 AM
yellowjacket99
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: check engine light question

It's hard to guess, but possibly a bad oxygen sensor. From what I've read when you first start the vehicle it doesn't read from the sensor until it warms up. Something about open loop and closed loop modes. Anyway if you have an AutoZone nearby they will scan it for free and tell you what it is.

Old 03-24-2005, 12:03 AM
KotaSport00

thanks, but do you think that it could be a o2 sensor with only 54000 miles on it? maybe a maintance light?. but thnks will take to autozone.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:30 AM
914dakota
Professional

Yes it could be a O2 sensor at that mileage. It can be subject to getting carbon fouled and contaminated by other things. But as said in a previous post goto Auto Zone b4 jumping to any conclusions.. There is no maintance light anymore Check Engine means just that the computer has noticed a problem... Sometimes a gas cap not put on properly can cause a CE light b/c of the evap sys. Cars are a lot smarter than they used to be.00

Old 03-24-2005, 03:37 PM
KotaSport00

Hey guys I ran the code and it came back evaportation emission control system leak (small leak) fuel cap maybe?? vacuum hose, EGR valve. Any input? Thanks again guys your saving me alot of money by not going to the dealer!

Old 03-24-2005, 10:26 PM
914dakota
Professional

Gas cap, any of the hoses on the evap system which is a seperate system. Many things there check valve, hoses, canister. Would need a diagram for you to look at to trace componets down. Dealers usally have a procedure to track down the leak.

Old 03-25-2005, 12:19 PM
ASECERT

usually a small leak is the gas cap being left loose - I would just get the code cleared and see if it comes on again. If it comes on again then you may have another problem (evap lines, cracked cannister, etc). Before you spend too much money on diagnosis which can get expensive fast at an average between 60-90 per hour you should know if there really is a problem. my advice as a tech is to get the code cleared, make sure your cap is tight every time you fill up, and wait and see if the light comes back on with the same code. save yourself some money.

Old 04-04-2005, 03:55 PM
EMS12

Hi all stumbled accross this board while searching about check engine light.

I to have the same problem 03 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab. Mine will come on stay on for a few days then go out. Stays out for a few days then comes back on.

I tightned the gas cap and come to think of it it always seems to happen after a fill up. Hope that is just the cause.

Didn't know auto zone will run the code for free. I will do that.

Thaks for the info!

Old 04-04-2005, 05:49 PM
73roadrunner
Captain

I have an 01 dak and the engine light would come on after every fill up after 15,000miles where on the truck. I had the code cleared and I made sure after the first time to tighten it but it came on three more times. So the dealer ended up installing another gas cap the OEM one was black and now it's been replaced with a gray one and my light hasn't come on yet. The dealer never said if this was a common problem or not but replaceing the cap with a differant one helped.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:10 PM
coastie79

I've had problems with my check engine light for almost a year and a half. The light came on.I got it checked at the dealer. they said it was the O2 sensors and Catalytic converter.I had enough money to replace all four sensors and spark plugs. Cleared the code. Code came back on. Justa few months ago,I hadanother diagnostic check. the trouble was the sensors and converterstill. I got a new catalytic converter installed ($1200.00) and O2 sensors. 2 weeks later the light comes back on. I got it checked at Autozone. This time, it was the Fuel Injecter #1. I replaced it a few weeks ago($50.00). Check engine is still on.I starting to think that maybe the problem isn't the codes but the computor itself. I finally give in and take my truck to the dealer.The mechanu traced the problem to oil on one of the conncetors next to the breather. He cleaned it off and plugged it backin. I paid $158.00 for that "labor". An hour or so later the lightcame back on.Thedealership said they'd look at it again butI didn't want to go back dish out more money for nothing. Last night I took off all the O2 sensors and clean them thoroughly. But unfortunately nothing has worked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: check engine light question