Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Hard starting when engine is warm.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 PM
pizzo
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hounds
It DOES appear that leaking or broken fuel lines would be the obvious culprit but why only when its warm? Why not all the time?

In MY situation I DO see a little bit of fuel and its leaking from where the fuel lines go into the injectors (and they are TIGHT). Not pouring out but seems to be leaking. I don't see any leaks anywhere else from the tank all the way up to the filter, into the IP, etc.

thanks
Hounds
change your fuel lines I agree with Coal Train Start with your fuel lines first
then when its done and all the air is out of it. see if it starts when its hot If it don't start then get a vp44

Old 09-04-2009, 09:37 AM
hounds
Rookie

Thanks guys. I really DO think its in the lines somewhere. Its gonna be a SOB to put the HP lines in though right?

My VP44 is less than a year old, I have doubts it's the IP. BUT, never know with this beast I guess. The IP has been getting 20-25psi since put in, with this airleak, will that cause the IP to fail as well?

Old 09-04-2009, 11:55 AM
Coal Train
All Star

The fuel lines are easy.

Nothing more than two 19mm nuts that secure the line heads to the pump and connector tubes.

Just do one at a time (well, techically three at a time because of the bridge) and you'll be fine.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:15 PM
hounds
Rookie

THanks. I'm leaning more and more towards the fitting deal.
They have been loosened and tightened God knows how many times and yes 3 of them appear damaged from over tightening.
My IP is new and since I have had them go twice on me already with the same warnings (different than now) I am not so sure it IS the IP this time.
Last 2X IP went, it started stuttering under a load while driving and also hesitated at start and once it went, truck wouldn't start at ALL.
This time, once it starts it runs great with exception of spittering and sputtering at IDLE once warmed up. Under a load or driving it seems fine.
I will try to find some good used HP fuel lines to the injectors.
But, in the meantime maybe I'll run some rubber hoses from tank all the way to filter and up TO the IP and see if that does anything. My guess is no or minimal.

Thanks again for the tips.
I just dread the thought of actually doing the work myself, with minimal tools. Although it appears once the lines are out, I can install 3 first then 3 more with not too many problems. Craziness.

Another question: IF I continue driving it this way could that cause the IP to fail? or otherwise other problems?
I installed a fuel pressure guage years ago (after my IP failures) and its always reading 20-25psi so I know the IP is getting plenty of fuel. But if air is constantly slipping in there, thats my worry.

Last edited by hounds; 09-08-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Coal Train
All Star

If it's hard starting, more than likely the air is backing down to the IP.

I think the first nuts I'd check would be the ones at the IP because, realistically, the air isn't going to flow DOWN the lines to the IP, it's gonna come up.

So more than likely the leak is at the IP.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Panhandle Drifter
Default I am having the same problem

On my 2003 I changed the fuel pressure valve up on the fuel rail because it tested bad. The truck started better for 3 days and now it is back to the hard starts after the engine is warm. Changed the crank sensor, no luck there. When the wire going to the injection pump ( The name of this part is not coming mind) is unplugged the engine will start and run rough. This has me scratching my head. thank you

Last edited by Panhandle Drifter; 09-09-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: add year model
Old 04-23-2011, 03:53 PM
crazzydan1

the long crank hot problem is happening to me and i don't have any leaks i have a new blue chip pump and stock lift pump fed by a holley blue for more psi. the truck runs great and starts with one rotation cold i mean instant start up. ????????????????????????????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hard starting when engine is warm.