Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

transmission going into limp mode

Old 02-15-2009, 02:04 PM
scaryspider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission going into limp mode

I took my 2005 Grand Voyager 2.8 CRD to my local dealer in the UK as the transmission dropped down gear sharply twice for no reason and then seemed to go into neutral code p1739 was stored they didn’t know what it was that was causing it but thought it might lead to a possible intermittent relay fault this cost me £80 Now the transmission has started to go momentarily into neutral and back to drive with all shift display positions lit-up the drive is jerky first/second gear and intermittent Speedo I have checked all cables and connections all seem fine i have booked into dealers again to see if they can find fault this time and how much is it going to cost.

any help with what the fault maybe would be gratefully received.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:35 PM
tomthbomb

My 2004 Caravan (not Grand) trashed its' tranny at 24K miles. I dropped quiker than a hot rock.

Last edited by tomthbomb; 02-15-2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: wrong year model. i've had four.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 PM
transguy37
Professional

When all the gear selections light up together, it's usally a bad TRS or a ground wire problem of some sort. It's hard to say how much.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:37 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Just you know, because you will not find this in any book. P1739 is the same as P0884 or $76, Power up at speed code. I would replace the ignition switch and reck.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:06 AM
scaryspider
Default transmission going into limp mode

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies I had to have the vehicle taken to the local dealers as it became un-drivable after my last posting. There was a clicking under steering column/ dash every time it kicked and jerked violently.

It was two days at the dealers and they found the fault/ cause as follows there was no communication with the TCM they followed the diagnosis through to no power to the TCM with the ignition on from the FCM they checked the circuit to find a open circuit and rather than try to pull the wiring out they over laid new wiring for the circuit all seems fine with the car now in fact it seems to drive a whole lot smoother than before it went wrong but it cost me £280 + vat Labour I hope this info can help anyone else that gets this fault.

Regards
Peter

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission going into limp mode