Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

Transfer Case Control Module Location, TCCM

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 AM
Amedeus8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Issue TCCM?

I have a similar issue with my '02 Dakota. The lights on the 4wd switch are no longer illuminated. My truck is in 2wd and will not go into 4 hi or 4 lo. From what I have read, i am pretty sure it is my TCCM, but I cannot locate a replacement part without going to the dealer. And I DO NOT have 400+$$ to spend. Where can I go to find a used one? Thanks for the help and this forum....

Marshall

Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

check junkyards if you want to try the used route, im sure one of them will have the part you need

Old 12-13-2009, 08:14 PM
cabindwellr
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 45romeo
Here is a photo of where the TCCM is located on an '01 Durango. It is the blue box behind the metal dash frame. Held in by 3 screws. No need to cut anything, just takes some patients to wiggle it out. Need to remove the lower base trim and ashtray which is still in place in this photo.
I had the same problem where the trasfer case quit responding, no lights on the switch and the switch did nothing. I was stuck in 4wd Hi. Took to the stealership and they wanted $445 for the part and a couple hundred to put it in. Found one for $75.00 delivered. Plugged it in and it works great.
I also found a 2000+ page manual in pdf format for a 2001 Dakota. Described in great detail how to remove the dash. Easy to do, just remove the screws and it "pops" off with a quick tug. search "2001dakotamanual.pdf" in google and you'll find the manual.
45Romeo
I discovered yesterday that I'm having the same issue of no indicator lights on my 2WD/4WD/4Lo selector on my 01 Durango and an inability to change the transfer case. Fortunately mine went while I was in 2WD. Unfortunately, we're just starting to get a big dump of wet, slippery Pacific Northwest snow. Anyway, I too will replace my TCCM by scavenging the scrapyards and report my progress. Also, I'll call the stealership and try to confirm if this part can be pulled from 4X4 Dakota's also and post the model years to look for.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:30 AM
cabindwellr

Okay, here's what the little beasty (TCCM) looks like out of my '01 Durango. This is the side facing the steering column. The heat sink is aft of the firewall. The 3 hexhead philips screws that need to be removed are the TR, BR and BL holes. The top right (TR) is the bitch to remove. You need a 7mm wrench and will need to use the open end. Remove this screw first because the other screws will hold the module tight allowing you to remove the tough screw easier. I would also recommend doing the reverse on reinstall. Get the easiest (bottom) screw in first and tighten it fully. Then you can adjust the position of the module so the other holes line up and it will be stiff enough to stay in postion.
Name:  TCCM001.jpg
Views: 13553
Size:  58.6 KB

This is the other side where the 3 connectors snap in.

Name:  TCCM002.jpg
Views: 13591
Size:  58.7 KB

Here's the part#'s on the one I pulled out. The P56028242AF and the 242AF were the numbers that were the same as the one I put in except the one I put in (from an '01 also) ended with an AD instead of AF. Nonetheless, it worked fine and immediately once I had it connected. I would make sure that you snap in the connectors and check that the new-used one lights up your selector switch LED's and you can hear the transfer case engaging and disengaging when you switch between 2WD, 4WD and 4Lo before you go through the arduous task of trying to jostle that puppy back into its usual spot. This is not an easy task but I can assure you that you do not need to remove any more of the dash than the one piece under the steering column. Just keep fighting with the sumbich until it fits in. I found I had to use firm pressure getting it in and out and it gets scraped up a bit on the metal bracket.

Name:  TCCM003.jpg
Views: 13494
Size:  64.8 KB

I popped the little beggar open to look for any obvious fixable problems but it looked absolutely mint.

Stealership cost in Canada was $545. I tracked a used one down and they wanted $350!! Yes, $350!! I told them there was no way I'd pay .75cents on the dollar for a used, unwarranted electronic part that could go at any moment like mine did. They said it came from a vehicle that only had 160km on it. I explained how warm and fuzzy that made me feel since mine had only 123km on it when it went. Kept checking and found another for $95. Fair enough.

Sorry, didn't confirm the model years or whether this part could come out of a Dakota also. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Good luck with your repair.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Amedeus8

I found mine out of Wisconsin and am waiting to get my hands on it. it should be today... cost me about 70 bucks including shipping....Same part number(s)....

Old 12-19-2009, 12:57 AM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the update!

Old 12-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Amedeus8

I received the tccm, swapped it out with the old one and all the lights on the switch are working again and my 4x4, hi and lo, both engage.... I used this website to to find my part. They even had the tccm listed, where a lot of the other sites did not even have it in the search parameter. http://www.autopartsearch.com. You have to look under electrical, then electric control units. The next page gives the option to choose the transfer case. There must have been at least 2 or 3 dozen places listed. I found mine at Nicks in Neenah Wisconsin....

Old 01-04-2010, 09:12 PM
qom-69

In need of a TCCM myself for my 01' Dakota. If I'm reading all of this info correctly, they are the same in Durangos as well, right??? The part # that is provided on this page is confusing me by the ones that I've seen. Help!!!!
The dealership mechanic also said there was only 2 connectors and by all of these pictures I'm seeing 3.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 AM
firems71635

Originally Posted by 45romeo
Here is a photo of where the TCCM is located on an '01 Durango. It is the blue box behind the metal dash frame. Held in by 3 screws. No need to cut anything, just takes some patients to wiggle it out. Need to remove the lower base trim and ashtray which is still in place in this photo.
I had the same problem where the trasfer case quit responding, no lights on the switch and the switch did nothing. I was stuck in 4wd Hi. Took to the stealership and they wanted $445 for the part and a couple hundred to put it in. Found one for $75.00 delivered. Plugged it in and it works great.
I also found a 2000+ page manual in pdf format for a 2001 Dakota. Described in great detail how to remove the dash. Easy to do, just remove the screws and it "pops" off with a quick tug. search "2001dakotamanual.pdf" in google and you'll find the manual.
45Romeo
Where did u find the module for $75? The best price i've found is $250

Old 01-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Duranged408
Record Breaker

Has anyone even tried telling the dealership there is a TSB for the TCCM and Recall??????????? Everybody is just jumping at the purchase, why do that if they can cover it??????????????

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Control Module Location, TCCM